Banked road (find the minimum radius)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving a car on a banked track. The first part is easily solved by considering the force of friction and the parallel component of gravity. However, in the second part, the radius must also be taken into account for the centripetal force. The conversation goes on to discuss the proper equations to use and the mistake in the attempted solution. Finally, the correct approach is explained, which involves considering the increased normal force on a banked track.
farleyknight

Homework Statement

y2MPs.png

I've already answered the first part. The second part is what's giving me trouble.

Homework Equations

Here's how I solved #10:

Since the car is at rest, we're only worried about the force of friction and the parallel component of gravity:

F_f = F_g * sin(theta) = m * g * sin(theta)

Since F_f = mu_s * F_N = mu_s * F_g * cos(theta) = mu_s * m * g * cos(theta)

Then:

mu_s * m * g * cos(theta) = m * g * sin(theta)

Solving for theta, we get:

mu_s = tan(theta)

Or arctan(mu_s) = theta

The Attempt at a Solution

The second situation is different. We need to know the radius, and that is only involved when we have the centripetal force (F_C).

In this case, we are worried about having enough F_C to keep the car from veering off. Now the force of friction is equal, but going in the opposite direction (the same direction as the parallel component of gravity):

F_C * cos(theta) = F_f + F_g * sin(theta)

We already have F_f = mu_s * m * g * cos(theta), and F_g * sin(theta) = m * g * sin(theta). Also, since we're dealing with centripetal force, the proper equation for acceleration is:

m * a = m * (v^2 / R)

So that gives:

F_C * cos(theta) = m * (v^2 / R) = mu_s * m * g * cos(theta) + m * g * sin(theta)

Cancelling m and dividing by cos(theta):

(v^2 / R) = mu_s * g + g * tan(theta)

Since tan(theta) = mu_s:

(v^2 / R) = 2 * mu_s * g

This equation makes sense, to me, because previously we requires the parallel gravitation component to be equal (and opposite) to force of friction. Now we require that both of those forces act together to keep the car on the road, thus giving 2 * mu_s * g.

Solving for R:

R = v^2 / (2 * mu_s * g)

Which is dimensionally correct. Punching the values into my calculator gives:

v^2 / (2 * mu_s * g) = (50/3)^2 / (2 * 0.15 * 9.81) = 94.38592517

But this was rejected :(

Any idea where my mistake is at?

Physics news on Phys.org
farleyknight said:

Homework Statement

y2MPs.png

I've already answered the first part. The second part is what's giving me trouble.

Homework Equations

Here's how I solved #10:

Since the car is at rest, we're only worried about the force of friction and the parallel component of gravity:

F_f = F_g * sin(theta) = m * g * sin(theta)

Since F_f = mu_s * F_N = mu_s * F_g * cos(theta) = mu_s * m * g * cos(theta)

Then:

mu_s * m * g * cos(theta) = m * g * sin(theta)

Solving for theta, we get:

mu_s = tan(theta)

Or arctan(mu_s) = theta

The Attempt at a Solution

The second situation is different. We need to know the radius, and that is only involved when we have the centripetal force (F_C).

In this case, we are worried about having enough F_C to keep the car from veering off. Now the force of friction is equal, but going in the opposite direction (the same direction as the parallel component of gravity):

F_C * cos(theta) = F_f + F_g * sin(theta)

We already have F_f = mu_s * m * g * cos(theta), and F_g * sin(theta) = m * g * sin(theta). Also, since we're dealing with centripetal force, the proper equation for acceleration is:

m * a = m * (v^2 / R)

So that gives:

F_C * cos(theta) = m * (v^2 / R) = mu_s * m * g * cos(theta) + m * g * sin(theta)

Cancelling m and dividing by cos(theta):

(v^2 / R) = mu_s * g + g * tan(theta)

Since tan(theta) = mu_s:

(v^2 / R) = 2 * mu_s * g

This equation makes sense, to me, because previously we requires the parallel gravitation component to be equal (and opposite) to force of friction. Now we require that both of those forces act together to keep the car on the road, thus giving 2 * mu_s * g.

Solving for R:

R = v^2 / (2 * mu_s * g)

Which is dimensionally correct. Punching the values into my calculator gives:

v^2 / (2 * mu_s * g) = (50/3)^2 / (2 * 0.15 * 9.81) = 94.38592517

But this was rejected :(

Any idea where my mistake is at?

When a car is traveling around a banked track, the Normal reaction force is higher than when it is parked on the track [a similar thing happens when a car is driven through a dip rather than parked in a dip]. This increases the frictional force, an Fn is bigger.

Yep, that's what I needed. Thanks! :)

Related to Banked road (find the minimum radius)

1. What is a banked road?

A banked road is a road that is constructed with a slope on either side of the road, also known as a camber, to help vehicles navigate turns safely and efficiently.

2. What is the purpose of finding the minimum radius for a banked road?

The purpose of finding the minimum radius for a banked road is to determine the maximum safe speed that vehicles can travel on the road without slipping or skidding. This helps ensure the safety of drivers and passengers on the road.

3. How is the minimum radius for a banked road calculated?

The minimum radius for a banked road is calculated using the coefficient of friction, the speed of the vehicle, and the angle of banking. This calculation takes into account the centrifugal force acting on the vehicle and the friction force provided by the banked road.

4. What factors affect the minimum radius for a banked road?

The factors that affect the minimum radius for a banked road include the weight and speed of the vehicle, the coefficient of friction of the road surface, and the angle of banking of the road. Other factors such as weather conditions and the type of tires on the vehicle can also affect the minimum radius.

5. Why is it important to consider the minimum radius when designing a banked road?

Considering the minimum radius when designing a banked road is important because it ensures the safety and comfort of drivers and passengers. If the minimum radius is not properly calculated, vehicles can experience slipping or skidding, which can lead to accidents. Properly designed banked roads also allow for smoother and more efficient travel for vehicles.