Bar magnet wrapped in electromagnetic coil

In summary, if you wrap a coil around a bar magnet and shoot current through the coil so that the magnetic field of the electromagnet is at the same polarity of the bar magnet, you will have amplified the magnetic field of the bar magnet. However, increasing the number of turns in the coil will increase the current and heat dissipation, and achieving a "doubling" of magnetic strength may be difficult without cooling methods.
coinmaster
If I wrap a coil around a bar magnet and shoot current through the coil so that the magnetic field of the electromagnet is at the same polarity of the bar magnet will I have amplified the magnetic field of the bar magnet maintaining the same magnetic shape but bigger/stronger?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. A permanent magnet has a saturated magnetization (it is called "remanent magnetization" on the material's hysteresis curve). Applying additional field will simply add the field of the coil to the field of the magnet.

Does that mean the field will be stronger but not bigger?

"Stronger" vs. "bigger" doesn't make sense. The field is stronger--it's the sum of the permanent magnetization and the applied solenoidal field. There is no "amplification," used in the sense that a ferromagnetic material produces a strong B field in the presence of a weak H field.

Could I practically double the strength of a 4''x 0.5'' 35lb strength neo bar magnet using this method without overheating? Current supply isn't a problem for me, assume I have unlimited power for now, but I need to keep the added dimensions to a minimum so I don't know if i can pack that much magnetic strength into that small of an area or not.
If I increase the windings the magnetic field and wire resistance goes up and so does the heat generation limiting the current, if I decrease the windings the current goes up and the magnetic field is proportionally smaller requiring gobs of current. In either scenario I'm not sure whether I can achieve a "doubling" of magnetic strength without cooling methods. What do you think?

Physics Forums isn't a "we'll perform your design engineering for you for free" service. Look at the hysteresis curve and the formula for field from a solenoid. Figure out number of turns, current and heat dissipation and see if you can answer your question.

Related to Bar magnet wrapped in electromagnetic coil

What is a bar magnet wrapped in an electromagnetic coil?

A bar magnet wrapped in an electromagnetic coil is a simple device used to generate electricity. It consists of a permanent bar magnet, with one end being a North pole and the other being a South pole, wrapped in a coil of wire.

How does a bar magnet wrapped in an electromagnetic coil work?

The bar magnet creates a magnetic field, and when it is moved through the coil, it induces an electric current in the wire. This current can be used to power devices or be stored in a battery for later use.

What is the difference between a bar magnet and an electromagnetic coil?

A bar magnet is a permanent magnet, meaning it always has a magnetic field, whereas an electromagnetic coil produces a magnetic field only when an electric current is passed through it. The strength of the magnetic field in an electromagnetic coil can also be controlled by varying the amount of current passing through it.

What can a bar magnet wrapped in an electromagnetic coil be used for?

This device has many practical applications, such as in generators, motors, and transformers. It is also used in various electronic devices, including speakers and microphones.

Is there a limit to the strength of the magnetic field produced by a bar magnet wrapped in an electromagnetic coil?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field is limited by the strength of the bar magnet and the amount of current passing through the coil. However, by increasing the number of coils or using stronger magnets, the magnetic field can be increased.