Barometer of Mercury: Weight or Pressure?

In summary, the conversation discusses the balancing of mercury levels and the pressure and weight involved. It is concluded that both pressure and force are necessary for balance, and they both increase in proportion to the increase in area.
adjacent
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Some websites say that mercury level balances because the weight of the mercury column gets equal to the wight of atmosphere.Is it not the pressure of the mercury column equal to the pressure of the atmosphere.
I say this because if the mercury column is wide,the weight of the mercury column can get equal to atm at a lower height.
Which one is right

Homework Equations

mercury column height is 76cm

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You agree that the pressure of the mercury at the interface of mercury and air is Patm right?

The upward force on the column due to this pressure is PatmA (where A is the cross section area). The downward force on it is its weight which is ρghA.

Since they balance, ρghA=PatmA
and therefore ρgh=Patm. This also means that the pressures balance.

So both are right.

[edit]: as you can see, the cross section area has no significance here as long as it is uniform.

if the pressure of the mercury column equals then both the barometers should have the same height regardless of the width of the mercury column
but if weight is to be equal,a column wide can hold more amount of mercury with less height)meaning pressure will be less) and a column narrow can hold the same amount of mercury but needing more height (meaning pressure is more)
as P=ρgh
So the two columns have different pressures but equal weight
I don't understand this

Sunil Simha said:
The upward force on the column due to this pressure is PatmA (where A is the cross section area). The downward force on it is its weight which is ρghA.

Since they balance, ρghA=PatmA
and therefore ρgh=Patm. This also means that the pressures balance.
The two As cannot be same because first A is the cross-sectional area the area of the mercury column cannot be used as that therefore two As cannot cancel
Am I right?

But the two columns have the SAME pressure at the base. Force = pressure * area. If you increase the area and pressure remains constant, then the FORCE must increase.

According to you (SteamKing)if the pressure is constant(mercury column with same height)And as area increases more mercury can occupy that area and the force increase
I was asking about that,is that the pressure which remains constant or the force
By the way is force necessary for being in balance?
What is necessary here is the pressure.Am I right?So force is always not necessary for being in balance,Right?

I was not thinking about equation but the image I think that is why I was Confused

adjacent said:
By the way is force necessary for being in balance?
What is necessary here is the pressure.Am I right?So force is always not necessary for being in balance,Right?

Of course force is necessary to be balanced. Else the column would accelerate. Weight of the mercury column increases with increase in area but so does the force due to the external pressure. And they both increase by the same factor ( namely A) and thus always balance each other.

I found sunil simha to be right after thinking about it.Thank you sunil

Related to Barometer of Mercury: Weight or Pressure?

1. How does a barometer measure atmospheric pressure?

A barometer works by balancing the weight of the atmosphere against the weight of a column of mercury. As the atmospheric pressure changes, the height of the mercury column changes, indicating the pressure.

2. Is the weight of the mercury the same as the atmospheric pressure it measures?

No, the weight of the mercury is not the same as the atmospheric pressure it measures. The weight of the mercury is used as a reference to measure the atmospheric pressure, but they are not directly related.

3. Why is mercury used in barometers instead of other liquids?

Mercury is used in barometers because it is a dense, heavy liquid that is not affected by temperature changes or other atmospheric conditions. This makes it a reliable and accurate measure of atmospheric pressure.

4. How does a barometer of mercury differ from an aneroid barometer?

A barometer of mercury uses a column of mercury to measure atmospheric pressure, while an aneroid barometer uses a sealed, flexible metal box that expands and contracts with changes in atmospheric pressure. Both methods are accurate, but the aneroid barometer is more compact and portable.

5. Can the barometer of mercury be used to predict weather?

Yes, the barometer of mercury can be used to predict weather. A sudden drop in atmospheric pressure usually indicates an approaching storm, while a steady high pressure often means clear weather. However, it should be used in conjunction with other weather forecasting methods for more accurate predictions.