Barometric Leg to drain a slurry from a system under vacuum

In summary: The Nutsche filter is essential for removing coarse solids from the liquid. Without it, the liquid would just flow through the filter and into the next stage in the process.
rollingstein
Gold Member
Often to drain liquids from a vacuum a tall (32 feet) barometric leg is used. Can I use such a leg to drain a slurry?

The vacuum is approx. 200 mm Hg abs & the slurry has 5% to 10% hard crystalline solids in water.

In particular how do I design the liquid seal at the bottom of the barometric leg? I'm posting a sketch of a typical "hot well" seal but this won't work for slurries, right? The solids would settle & block the hotwell.

Any ideas?

ptZCNVG.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe you need a diagonal screw auger or a narrow squirrel cage paddle of large diameter to remove the solids from the sump.
Whatever form the mechanical sweeper takes, it needs to be very slow so it does not inject air bubbles into the water.

Likes rollingstein
Baluncore said:
Maybe you need a diagonal screw auger or a narrow squirrel cage paddle of large diameter to remove the solids from the sump.
Whatever form the mechanical sweeper takes, it needs to be very slow so it does not inject air bubbles into the water.

You think a centrifugal pump rated for slurry duty would work? Might be cheaper / simpler than an auger. I could add a re-circulation line to ensure the seal liquid does not empty.

I do not know the density or hardness of the solids expected, nor how many kg you expect per day.
For minimum energy, I would select a low–speed, low–power mechanism that does not cause turbulence.
Unless the solids are being transported in suspension for recycling, pick a method that tips the solid over the edge without too much water make-up being needed.

Likes rollingstein
Baluncore said:
I do not know the density or hardness of the solids expected, nor how many kg you expect per day.

The hardness, shape & density of these crystals are very close to common salt, NaCl.

The quantity isn't large. Approx. 200 kg/hr.

The final destination of the slurry is a Nutsche filter where the liquid gets sucked below the cloth filter by a vacuum & the solids get periodically raked out manually.

rollingstein said:
The final destination of the slurry is a Nutsche filter where the liquid gets sucked below the cloth filter by a vacuum & the solids get periodically raked out manually.
Is it only slurry from the barometric pipe that goes to the Nutsche filter ?
If so, why duplicate the vacuum systems when you could co-locate them.
If not, circulate the slurry in the well to keep it in suspension while you circulate water between the filter and the well. If possible, to reduce wear of the pump, pump filtered water back to the well rather than slurry out of the well. The return flow of water to the well could drive the circulation in the well.

Likes rollingstein
Baluncore said:
Is it only slurry from the barometric pipe that goes to the N
utsche filter ?

Yes.

Baluncore said:
If so, why duplicate the vacuum systems when you could co-locate them.

How can I do that? Can you elaborate on this idea? Normally the Nutsche filter has a vacuum applied to the underside of the filter medium & the top of the filter medium is open to atmosphere. The difference provides the driving force for filtration. What do you mean by co-location?

Baluncore said:
If not, circulate the slurry in the well to keep it in suspension while you circulate water between the filter and the well. If possible, to reduce wear of the pump, pump filtered water back to the well rather than slurry out of the well. The return flow of water to the well could drive the circulation in the well.

Agreed about the slurry circulation. Will need to do that.

The idea about recirculating the filtered water is a good one. Though it will increase the apparent load on the filter, right? Because of the additional internal recycle.

I was thinking of just adding a tee on the discharge of the slurry pump and circulating a part of that flow back into the well through a sparging ring in order to maintain the suspension.

Sorry about the delay, it is a very busy month here, and I am now recovering from the flu. I need to think more clearly about the minimum possible system. It is easy to add more energy consuming equipment, but it is better to increase efficiency and eliminate or delay processes that are not essential. I am trying to see how to eliminate a pump and turbulence in the sump.

What is special about the Nutsche filter at the end of the process ? Is it essential or could the product be dried by gravity drainage ?

Baluncore said:
I need to think more clearly about the minimum possible system. It is easy to add more energy consuming equipment, but it is better to increase efficiency and eliminate or delay processes that are not essential. I am trying to see how to eliminate a pump and turbulence in the sump.

Indeed. I'm trying for the simplest system possible too. Thanks for helping out.

Baluncore said:
What is special about the Nutsche filter at the end of the process ? Is it essential or could the product be dried by gravity drainage ?

What sort of gravity drainage? Nutsche seemed the simplest / fast system for seperating 5% solids from the mother liquor. Other option I considered was a filter press.

But I'm open to sugesstions. Especially if they will lead to a simpler system.

Related to Barometric Leg to drain a slurry from a system under vacuum

1. What is a barometric leg?

A barometric leg is a vertical pipe or tube that is used to create a pressure difference in a system under vacuum. It is typically connected to a tank or vessel that is under vacuum, and the other end is open to the atmosphere. This pressure difference allows for the drainage of liquid or slurry out of the system.

2. How does a barometric leg work?

A barometric leg works by creating a pressure difference between the system under vacuum and the atmosphere. This pressure difference causes the liquid or slurry to flow out of the system and into the barometric leg. The height of the barometric leg is crucial in maintaining this pressure difference.

3. What is the purpose of a barometric leg?

The purpose of a barometric leg is to allow for the drainage of liquid or slurry from a system under vacuum. This prevents the system from becoming over-pressurized and potentially causing damage. It also helps to maintain the vacuum in the system.

4. How do you determine the height of a barometric leg?

The height of a barometric leg is determined by several factors, including the desired pressure difference, the density of the liquid or slurry, and the operating conditions of the system. It is typically calculated using the Bernoulli equation and can also be adjusted based on the length and diameter of the barometric leg.

5. Are there any limitations to using a barometric leg?

Yes, there are limitations to using a barometric leg. The system must be under vacuum for it to work properly, and the height of the barometric leg must be carefully calculated to maintain the desired pressure difference. Additionally, the liquid or slurry being drained must not be too viscous or contain large particles that could clog the barometric leg.

Back