Barut's Electrodynamics Identity Problem

In summary: There are other identities among the \sigma-matrices, which are useful in the description of spinors in Lorentz-covariant way. See, for example, the book of R.Penrose and W.Rindler, Spinors and space-time, Cambridge Univ. Press.
facenian
On page 25 of his book "Electrodynamics and classical theory of fields and particles" he presents this identity
[tex]\sigma_\mu\sigma_\nu-\frac{i}{2}\epsilon_{\mu\nu\beta\alpha}\sigma^\beta\sigma^\alpha=\delta_{\mu\nu}[/tex]
where [itex]\sigma^\mu:(\mathbf{I},-\mathbf{\sigma})[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_\mu:(\mathbf{I},\mathbf{\sigma})[/itex] , [itex]\sigma=(\sigma_1,\sigma_2,\sigma_3)\,and\,\sigma_i[/itex] are the Pauli matrices, [itex]\sigma_0=\mathbf{I}[/itex]
It seems that this can't be right because if we put [itex]\mu=1\,\sigma=2[/itex] then we have [itex]\sigma_1\sigma_2=0[/itex] while the correct result is [itex]\sigma_1\sigma_2=i\sigma_3[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you sum over double indices ?

Yes, Einstein convention is assumed

Although this article has many interesting identities it does not have one like the one I asked.

facenian said:
On page 25 of his book "Electrodynamics and classical theory of fields and particles" he presents this identity
[tex]\sigma_\mu\sigma_\nu-\frac{i}{2}\epsilon_{\mu\nu\beta\alpha}\sigma^\beta\sigma^\alpha=\delta_{\mu\nu}[/tex]
where [itex]\sigma^\mu:(\mathbf{I},-\mathbf{\sigma})[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_\mu:(\mathbf{I},\mathbf{\sigma})[/itex] , [itex]\sigma=(\sigma_1,\sigma_2,\sigma_3)\,and\,\sigma_i[/itex] are the Pauli matrices, [itex]\sigma_0=\mathbf{I}[/itex]
It seems that this can't be right because if we put [itex]\mu=1\,\sigma=2[/itex] then we have [itex]\sigma_1\sigma_2=0[/itex] while the correct result is [itex]\sigma_1\sigma_2=i\sigma_3[/itex]
Let me check by myself. For [itex]\mu=1\,\sigma=2[/itex] the identity above gives
[tex]\sigma_1\sigma_2-\frac{i}{2}\epsilon_{12\beta\alpha}\sigma^\beta\sigma^\alpha=0[/tex]
Therefore
[tex]\sigma_1\sigma_2=\frac{i}{2}\epsilon_{12\beta\alpha}\sigma^\beta\sigma^\alpha
=\frac{i}{2}[\epsilon_{1230}\sigma^3\sigma^0+\epsilon_{1203}\sigma^0\sigma^3]
=\frac{i}{2}[\sigma^3\sigma^0-\sigma^0\sigma^3]=\frac{i}{2}[\sigma^3,\sigma^0]=0 [/tex]
So you are right, and Barut is wrong.

Likes BvU
Thank you. I think it is a pitty because it would have been nice have an identity like that. He uses it to prove the relation between the restricted Lorentz group and Sl(2,C)

It seems that the Barut's identity is correct if ##\epsilon_{\mu\nu\beta\alpha}## is redefined. With such a redefinition it is zero when two or more indices are equal (which is standard), it is antisymmetric under exchange of spatial indices (which is also standard), but it is symmetric under exchange of a spatial index and time index (which is not standard). In particular, in my calculation above one has to take ##\epsilon_{1230}=\epsilon_{1203}=-1##, which leads to the correct result.

Likes BvU
Hm, but this doesn't make sense. You want a Levi-Civita Tensor, which should be totally antisymmetric. Barut's book is full of such typos or even mistakes. Don't trust any formula in it but carefully check the calculations. This is a pity, because conceptionally it's a really great book.

Likes Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
Hm, but this doesn't make sense. You want a Levi-Civita Tensor, which should be totally antisymmetric.
It seems to me that a Barut-like expression above with a true Levi-Civita is possible only if ##\sigma## 2x2 matrices are replaced with ##\gamma## 4x4 matrices. In particular, ##\sigma^0## is a unit matrix while ##\gamma^0## is not, which makes a big difference.

I also don't understand what Barut tries to achieve with this identity. The matrices ##\sigma^{\mu}## are related to the Weyl fermions. You introduce two sets of matrices
$$\sigma^{\mu}=(\mathbb{1},\sigma^j), \quad \overline{\sigma}^{\mu}=(1,-\sigma^i).$$
The matrices with the lower indices are defined as usual
$$\sigma_{\mu}=\eta_{\mu \nu} \sigma^{\nu}, \quad \overline{\sigma}_{\mu}=\eta_{\mu \nu} \overline{\sigma}^{\nu}.$$
Then you map any four vector ##x^{\mu}## uniquely to the hermitean 2X2-matrix
$$X=x^{\mu} \sigma_{\mu} \; \Leftrightarrow \; x^{\mu}=\frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr} (X \overline{\sigma}^{\mu}).$$
The invariant product is
$$x_{\mu} x^{\mu}=\det X.$$
Thus any ##\mathrm{SL}(2,\mathbb{C})## matrix ##L## defines a Lorentz transformation via
$$X'=A X A^{\dagger}.$$
The "induced" proper orthochronous Lorentz transformation is given by
$${\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu}=\frac{1}{2} \mathrm{tr}(\overline{\sigma}^{\mu} A \sigma_{\nu} A^{\dagger}).$$
This defines a homomorphism ##\mathrm{SL}(2,\mathbb{C}) \rightarrow \mathrm{SO}(1,3)^{\uparrow}##.

One cannot extend this representation to ##\mathrm{O}(1,3)^{\uparrow}##, i.e., you cannot discribe spatial reflections. That's why you have to introduce another kind of two-component spinors, which transform according to the conjugate complex transformation. Then you can put both transformations together to the four-spinor (Dirac spinor) representation, which is reducible for the ##\mathrm{SO}(3)^{\uparrow}## but irreducible wrt. ##\mathrm{O}(3)^{\uparrow}##. The two kinds of Weyl fermions making up the Dirac representation are interchanged by spatial reflections, thus establishing the Weyl fermions as the states with definite chirality.

For an excellent introduction to all this, see

Sexl, Urbandtke, Relativity, Groups, Particles, Springer (2001).

Demystifier said:
It seems that the Barut's identity is correct if ##\epsilon_{\mu\nu\beta\alpha}## is redefined. With such a redefinition it is zero when two or more indices are equal (which is standard), it is antisymmetric under exchange of spatial indices (which is also standard), but it is symmetric under exchange of a spatial index and time index (which is not standard). In particular, in my calculation above one has to take ##\epsilon_{1230}=\epsilon_{1203}=-1##, which leads to the correct result.
Let me check by myself
[tex]\sigma_1\sigma_2=\frac{i}{2}\epsilon_{12\alpha\beta}\sigma^\alpha\sigma^\beta=\frac{i}{2}(-\sigma^0\sigma^3-\sigma^0\sigma^3)=-i\sigma^3=i\sigma_3[/tex]
[tex]\sigma_0\sigma_1=\frac{i}{2}\epsilon_{01\alpha\beta}\sigma^\alpha\sigma^\beta=\frac{i}{2}(-\sigma^2\sigma^3+\sigma^3\sigma^2)=-i^2\sigma^1=\sigma^1=-\sigma_1[/tex]
The case [itex]\sigma_1\sigma_2[/itex] came out right but the case [itex]\sigma_0\sigma_1[/itex] did not.
vanhees71 said:
Hm, but this doesn't make sense. You want a Levi-Civita Tensor, which should be totally antisymmetric. .
It seems to me that an expression like this can be useful despite its non tensorial behavior

facenian said:

In relativity, non-covariant expressions are necessarily wrong. That “identity” is neither covariant nor algebraically correct:
1) The object “[itex]\delta_{\mu\nu}[/itex]” has no meaning in Minkowski space-time, because it has no well defined transformation law under the Lorentz group, i.e., not a covariant Lorentz tensor.
2) Even if one assumes that the object “[itex]\delta_{\mu\nu}[/itex]” plays the role of a symmetric Kronecker-type delta, one finds that, on one hand, [itex](\sigma_{\mu}\sigma_{\nu} - \delta_{\mu\nu})[/itex] has no definite symmetry, while, on the other hand, [itex]\epsilon_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}\sigma^{\alpha}\sigma^{\beta}[/itex] is certainly antisymmetric in [itex](\mu,\nu)[/itex]. Therefore, the two expressions, [itex](\sigma_{\mu}\sigma_{\nu} - \delta_{\mu\nu})[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}\sigma^{\alpha}\sigma^{\beta}[/itex] cannot be proportional to one another.
In the 4D Minkowski space-time, the correct identity which expresses the Levi-Civita tensor [itex]\epsilon[/itex] in terms of the [itex]\sigma[/itex]-matrices is the following one [tex]\sigma_{\mu} \bar{\sigma}_{\nu}\sigma_{\rho} = (\eta_{\mu\rho} \sigma_{\nu} - \eta_{\nu\rho} \sigma_{\mu} - \eta_{\mu\nu} \sigma_{\rho} ) + i \epsilon_{\mu\nu\rho\tau} \sigma^{\tau} .[/tex]

samalkhaiat said:
In the 4D Minkowski space-time, the correct identity which expresses the Levi-Civita tensor [itex]\epsilon[/itex] in terms of the [itex]\sigma[/itex]-matrices is the following one [tex]\sigma_{\mu} \bar{\sigma}_{\nu}\sigma_{\rho} = (\eta_{\mu\rho} \sigma_{\nu} - \eta_{\nu\rho} \sigma_{\mu} - \eta_{\mu\nu} \sigma_{\rho} ) + i \epsilon_{\mu\nu\rho\tau} \sigma^{\tau} .[/tex]
Can you please mention a book where this relation is explained or derived?

facenian said:
Can you please mention a book where this relation is explained or derived?
You may find it in textbooks on supersymmetry and/or representation theory of the Lorentz group SL(2,C).

facenian said:

Also, I should have said that the “identity” becomes correct if you put a bar on one of the sigmas, and relpace [itex]\delta[/itex] with the metric tensor [itex]\eta_{\mu\nu}[/itex] i.e., [tex]\sigma_{\mu}\bar{\sigma}_{\nu} + \frac{i}{2} \epsilon_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta} \ \sigma^{\alpha} \ \bar{\sigma}^{\beta} = \eta_{\mu\nu} .[/tex]
Take, [itex]\mu = 3, \ \nu = 0[/itex], the identity gives you [tex]\sigma_{3} = \frac{i}{2} \epsilon_{0123}(\sigma^{1}\bar{\sigma}^{2} - \sigma^{2}\bar{\sigma}^{1}) .[/tex] Using the numerical relations: [itex]\sigma^{i} = - \sigma_{i}[/itex], [itex]\bar{\sigma}^{\mu} = \sigma_{\mu}[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{0123} = 1[/itex], we get the correct algebra [tex][\sigma_{1},\sigma_{2}] = 2i \sigma_{3} .[/tex] Another check: take [itex]\mu=1, \ \nu=2[/itex]: [tex]\sigma_{1}\bar{\sigma}_{2} = \frac{i}{2} \epsilon_{1230}(\bar{\sigma}^{3}- \sigma^{3}) = - \frac{i}{2} \epsilon_{0123}(\sigma_{3} + \sigma_{3}) ,[/tex] So, [tex]\sigma_{1}\bar{\sigma}_{2} = -i \sigma_{3}, \ \Rightarrow \ \sigma_{1}\sigma_{2} = i \sigma_{3} .[/tex]

Likes facenian and Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
Barut's book is full of such typos or even mistakes. Don't trust any formula in it but carefully check the calculations.
I, too, have come to grief with some of Barut's material (in his group theory book). I have learned not to trust any of his formulas until I've verified them very carefully myself.

Exelent! thank you all guys it's been very helpful

Related to Barut's Electrodynamics Identity Problem

What is Barut's Electrodynamics Identity Problem?

Barut's Electrodynamics Identity Problem is a theoretical problem in classical electrodynamics that was proposed by physicist and mathematician Aharon Barut. It relates to the concept of charge conservation in electromagnetic systems.

What is the significance of Barut's Electrodynamics Identity Problem?

The significance of Barut's Electrodynamics Identity Problem lies in its implications for the fundamental laws of electrodynamics. It challenges the traditional notion of charge conservation and may lead to new insights and developments in the field.

How has the scientific community responded to Barut's Electrodynamics Identity Problem?

The scientific community has shown great interest in Barut's Electrodynamics Identity Problem, with many researchers attempting to find solutions and address its implications. However, there is still no widely accepted resolution to the problem.

Are there any proposed solutions to Barut's Electrodynamics Identity Problem?

There have been various proposed solutions to Barut's Electrodynamics Identity Problem, such as modifying the Maxwell's equations or introducing new laws of electrodynamics. However, none of these solutions have been universally accepted.

What are the potential implications of solving Barut's Electrodynamics Identity Problem?

If Barut's Electrodynamics Identity Problem is successfully solved, it could lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of electrodynamics and potentially open up new avenues for research and technological advancements.