Baseball - (2D?) Kinematics - Projectile Motion

In summary, a batter hits a baseball at 45 m/sec and an angle of 50° above the horizontal. The right fielder, who is 300 m away, needs to run at a speed of 13.56 m/sec to catch the ball at a height of 1 m above the ground, which is not possible. It is suggested to resolve the initial velocity into x and y components and use the equation Xf=Xi+vt+0.5at^2 to solve. Drawing a projectile might also help in understanding the problem.
Rker

Homework Statement

A batter hits a baseball at a speed of 45 m/sec at an angle of 50° above the horizontal. The right fielder, who is standing 300 m away from the batter, begins to run when he sees the bat hit the ball. If the fielder runs at a constant speed, what speed does he need to run in order to catch the ball at a height of 1 m above the ground? Can he make it?

P.S. The batter hits a grounder.

Homework Equations

Not sure. I think this one is used.

Vfx = Vox + atx

The Attempt at a Solution

99o2sg.png

Please help if you can. I've honestly worked on this problem for at least two hours, but I don't understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you have to use Xf=Xi+vt+0.5at^2 to solve

I asked someone else, and he said that I should draw an accurate graph of this problem. But, I wasn't taught how to do this in class. I think my professor just used trigonometry or the equation you suggested, semc. I'm confused...

I am not sure what your friend suggested about drawing a graph but i believe drawing the projectile might help. Firstly you have to know that this is a 2D question so the equation has a x and y component. Just resolve the initial velocity into the x and y component and use the equation and you should be able to get the answer.

Thanks, semc. My homework assignment is due in a few minutes, so I can't type all that I wrote, but I calculated that the fielder must run 13.56 m/sec to catch the ball, which isn't possible.

Does Usain Bolt play baseball? =D

Related to Baseball - (2D?) Kinematics - Projectile Motion

What is "2D Kinematics" in the context of baseball?

2D Kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, specifically the movement of objects in a horizontal plane (x-axis) and vertical plane (y-axis). In the context of baseball, it refers to the analysis of the projectile motion of a baseball as it is thrown, hit, or caught.

How is projectile motion related to baseball?

In baseball, projectile motion is the trajectory followed by a ball as it is thrown, hit, or caught. This motion is influenced by factors such as the initial velocity, angle of release, and air resistance, and is essential for understanding the mechanics of pitching, hitting, and fielding in the sport.

What is the significance of studying projectile motion in baseball?

Studying projectile motion in baseball allows us to better understand the physics behind the sport and how different factors affect the trajectory of a ball. This knowledge can be used to improve player performance, develop new training techniques, and even enhance equipment design.

How does air resistance affect the projectile motion of a baseball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a significant role in projectile motion of a baseball. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to slow down and deviate from its ideal trajectory. This effect is more pronounced for faster moving objects and can be minimized by altering the shape or surface texture of the ball.

What factors influence the distance a baseball travels during projectile motion?

The distance a baseball travels during projectile motion is influenced by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of release, air resistance, and the height of release. The initial velocity and angle of release have the most significant impact, with a higher velocity and optimal angle resulting in a longer distance traveled. The presence of air resistance and the height of release also play a role in determining the final distance.