Baseball and Average Force Question

In summary: But if the original velocity of the ball was to the right, then the triangle should be pointing to the right and the angle would be negative.
kliang1234
Question:
A 0.165kg baseball pitched horizontally at 34.5 m/s strikes a bat and is popped straight up to a height of 40.0m.

a) If the contact time between bat and ball is 1.0ms, calculate the magnitude of the average force between the ball and bat during contact.

I got this part right. I used Pythagorean theorem, kinematics, and momentum to solve for the average force.
I get 7331N as average force

b) Find the direction of the average force on the ball.

This is where i can't seem to get it right.
I've set up the triangle with velocity vectors vx and vy. Then i used tan^-1 to get an angle. This was incorrect.

Given that vx=34.5m/s and finding that vy=28m/s

i used tan^-1 (Vup/Vpitched) and that angle was incorrect
I also tried tan^-1(Vpitched/Vup) and that angle was also incorrect

any hints on how to find the direction of average force?
The angle the question is looking for is the angle from the initial direction of motion of the ball.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
kliang1234 said:
The angle the question is looking for is the angle from the initial direction of motion of the ball.
Draw a diagram showing the change in velocity. (That will give you a triangle like you described.) Then describe the direction of that force with respect to the original velocity of the ball. (That last part is the key.)

I tried that on my first attempt.
Since its Vf-V0,
i put

Vf
^ --------> V0
|
|
|

I get the angle between V0 and the hypotenuse to be 39°
But since its asking for the angle relative to the intial motion.. would it actually be -39° ?
or 180+39 = 219° ?

Thanks

kliang1234 said:
I tried that on my first attempt.
Since its Vf-V0,
i put

Vf
^ --------> V0
|
|
|
What you've drawn actually shows Vf + V0. You need Vf - V0. (Reverse the direction of V0.)

I get the angle between V0 and the hypotenuse to be 39°
That part's correct, but you don't have the hypotenuse in the right direction.

are you sure?
the ball is thrown towards the bat where it then gets popped up vertically.

^Vf
|
|
|
|
<---------V0 the triangle above would be for Vf+Vo

By reversing the Vo and putting its tail to Vf's head, i get
Vf-V0 and that's below----------->V0
^
|
|
|
|Vf

kliang1234 said:
are you sure?
the ball is thrown towards the bat where it then gets popped up vertically.

^Vf
|
|
|
|
<---------V0

the triangle above would be for Vf+Vo
Does Vo point to the left? So the ball was thrown to the left? (From your earlier diagram, I thought Vo pointed to the right.)

By reversing the Vo and putting its tail to Vf's head, i get
Vf-V0 and that's below

----------->V0
^
|
|
|
|Vf
If the original velocity of the ball was to the left, then that would be correct.

FAQ: Baseball and Average Force Question

What is the relationship between baseball and average force?

The average force in baseball is the amount of force exerted on a baseball by a player, such as a pitcher throwing a pitch or a batter hitting a ball. The relationship between baseball and average force is that the average force can affect the speed, trajectory, and distance of the ball.

How is average force measured in baseball?

Average force can be measured in baseball using a variety of tools, such as a radar gun to measure the speed of a pitch or a launch monitor to measure the force and velocity of a hit ball. Coaches and players can also use various training methods and techniques to improve their average force and performance on the field.

What factors can influence average force in baseball?

There are several factors that can influence average force in baseball, such as the player's strength and technique, the type of pitch or swing, and the equipment used. Other external factors, such as weather conditions, can also play a role in the average force exerted on the ball.

Why is average force important in baseball?

Average force is important in baseball because it can directly impact the outcome of a game. A higher average force can result in faster pitches and longer hits, which can lead to more runs and ultimately, a win for the team. In addition, understanding and improving average force can help players prevent injuries and improve their overall performance.

How can average force be improved in baseball?

Average force can be improved in baseball through strength training, proper technique, and using the right equipment. Players can also work on their overall fitness and conditioning, as well as receiving coaching and feedback on their mechanics to increase their average force on the field.