Basic ability multiplication problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the formula for the tangent to a cubic function and calculating the other variable of the linear function using a given value. The leading coefficient of the tangent is also mentioned and the final equation is presented. The individual is seeking help in checking for any errors in the equation.
theriel
Hello! I am just invastigating the cubic function and proving my conclusion formally.

I am finding the formula for the tangent to the function at the point equal to the average of two different roots.

The function is:
P(x) = q(x-a)(x-b)(x-c);
after multiplication:
P(x) = q (x^3 + (-a-b-c)x^2 + (ab+bc+ac)x -abc)

I know the leading coefficient of the tangent:
[tex]
\frac{-q}{4}(a-b)^{2}
[/tex]
And I know that it is calculated properly (checked on a few examples).

Now, I am calculating the other variable of the linear function of the tangent using the fact that the value at that point must be the same for both functions:
P(x)=P'(x)*x + z

[tex]
P(\frac{a + b}{2})=P\text{'} (\frac{a+b}{2})\ast(\frac{a+b}{2})+z
\linebreak
[/tex]
[tex]
q((\frac{a + b}{2})^{3}+(-a-b-c)(\frac{a + b}{2})^{2}+(\mathit{ab}+\mathit{bc}+\mathit{ac})(\frac{a + b}{2})-\mathit{abc})=(\frac{-q}{4}(a-b)^{2})\ast(\frac{a+b}{2})+z
\linebreak
[/tex][tex]
z=q(\frac{(a^{3}+3\mathit{ba}^{2}+3\mathit{ab}^{2}+b^{3})}{8}-\frac{(a^{3}+b^{3}+3\mathit{ab}^{2}+3\mathit{ba}^{2}+\mathit{ca}^{2}+\mathit{cb}^{2}+2\mathit{abc})}{4}+\frac{(\mathit{ba}^{2}+\mathit{ca}^{2}+\mathit{ab}^{2}+\mathit{cb}^{2})}{2}+\frac{(a^{3}+\mathit{ba}^{2}-\mathit{ab}^{2}+b^{3})}{8})\\
\linebreak
[/tex][tex]
z=q((\frac{a + b}{2})^{3}+(-a-b-c)(\frac{{a + b}}{2})^{2}+(\mathit{ab}+\mathit{bc}+\mathit{ac})(\frac{a + b}{2})-\mathit{abc}+\frac{(a-b)^{2}}{4})\ast (\frac{a+b}{2})\\
\linebreak
[/tex][tex]
z=q(\frac{(2\mathit{ba}^{2}+2\mathit{ca}^{2}+2\mathit{cb}^{2}-4\mathit{abc})}{8})=q(\frac{(c(a-b)^{2}+\mathit{ba}^{2})}{4})
[/tex]

The problem is... that it does not work as it should... I mean, the result is probably wrong. I checked it a few times and I am always getting the same result.

Could any of you try to multiply the equation and see whether this result is really wrong or the problem is not there?

Thank you for help!
Greetings,
Theriel

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because there were no replies I decided to learn Latex... and I wrote the whole equation. Maybe now somebody can help me and check where the error is?

P.S. I am sorry for the line breaking however it is not working properly, I do not know why...

FAQ: Basic ability multiplication problem?

What is a basic ability multiplication problem?

A basic ability multiplication problem is a mathematical exercise that involves multiplying two or more numbers together. It is a fundamental skill in mathematics and is often taught in elementary school.

What are the steps to solve a basic ability multiplication problem?

The steps to solve a basic ability multiplication problem are:1. Identify the numbers to be multiplied2. Write the numbers in a vertical format, with the larger number on top3. Multiply the rightmost digit of the bottom number by each digit of the top number, starting from the right4. Write the results below the line, with any carryover numbers placed above the next digit to the left5. Add the rows of numbers to get the final answer

How do I know which number to multiply first in a basic ability multiplication problem?

In a basic ability multiplication problem, you can multiply the numbers in any order and still get the same answer. This is known as the commutative property of multiplication. However, it is usually easier to start with the larger number as the top number and the smaller number as the bottom number.

What is the purpose of learning basic ability multiplication problems?

Learning basic ability multiplication problems helps to develop essential mathematical skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and number fluency. It also lays the foundation for more complex mathematical concepts such as division, fractions, and algebra. In addition, being able to quickly and accurately solve multiplication problems is a useful skill in daily life, such as calculating prices and determining measurements.

What are some strategies for improving basic ability multiplication problem skills?

Some strategies for improving basic ability multiplication problem skills include: - Practicing regularly with flashcards or timed drills - Breaking down larger problems into smaller, more manageable ones - Using manipulatives or visual aids to understand the concept - Memorizing multiplication tables - Applying the commutative property to switch the order of numbers - Using mental math techniques, such as rounding and estimation - Checking answers with division or using a calculator for verification.

Back