Basic Completing the Square Question

• I
  • Thread starter askor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary: For any complex numbers ##a, b, c##.In summary, we discussed completing the square to obtain integer solutions for quadratic equations. However, there is no guarantee for integer solutions and the method can also be applied to rational, real, and complex numbers. We also explored the use of the quadratic formula to find solutions for quadratic equations with any type of numbers.
askor
How do you complete the square of this?:

##x^2 - 3x - 7##

I already worked on this but the result is not integer:

##(x - 1.5)^2 - (\sqrt{9.25})^2##

Is my above work correct?

How do you obtain the result in integer?

How do you complete the square so that the result is integer?

For example:
##x^2 - x - any constant##
##x^2 - 3x - any constant##
##x^2 - 5x - any constant##
##x^2 - 7x - any constant##
##x^2 - 9x - any constant##

and so on, where the magnitude of ##x## is odd.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is correct, and there is no guarantee for integers. If you apply the method on ##x^2+px+q=0## then you get none, one, or two real solutions. They are usually not integer solutions.

If you are happy and you can guess a solution, say ##a## which satisfies ##a^2+pa+q=0## then you can divide ##(x^2+px+q):(x-a)## by long division and get the other solution (or none, if there is no real solution).

fresh_42 said:
...there is no guarantee for integers.

What do you mean?

askor said:
What do you mean?
##x^2-3x-7=\left(x-\dfrac{3}{2}-\dfrac{\sqrt{37}}{2}\right)\cdot \left(x-\dfrac{3}{2}+\dfrac{\sqrt{37}}{2}\right)## so there is no way to get rid of the quotient, nor the square root.

fresh_42 said:
##x^2-3x-7=\left(x-\dfrac{3}{2}-\dfrac{\sqrt{37}}{2}\right)\cdot \left(x-\dfrac{3}{2}+\dfrac{\sqrt{37}}{2}\right)## so there is no way to get rid of the quotient, nor the square root.

Do you mean ##\frac{\sqrt{7}}{2}##?

askor said:
What do you mean?
Let's look at this in the reverse direction. Pick any number, let's call it n, it doesn't have to be an integer. You can make a square polynomial (x-n)2 = x2-2nx+n2 with it.

Now any polynomial with the form x2-2nx+k (for any other constant k) can be expressed as (x-n)2+(k-n2). This is completing the square. There is no need to limit the type of constants allowed.

For example x2+6πx+3/4 = (x+3π)2+3/4-9π2, with n=-3π, k=3/4.

No. I meant what I wrote. We have ##x^2-3x-7## and want to compare it with ##(x-a)^2+b=x^2-2ax+a^2+b.## So - as you correctly did - we get
$$
x^2\quad\underbrace{-3}_{=-2a}x\quad\underbrace{-7}_{=a^2+b} \Longrightarrow a=-1.5\text{ and }-7=(1.5)^2+b\text{ or }b=-7-(1.5)^2=-9.25
$$
so ##x^2-3x-7=(x-1.5)^2-9.25## which you had, too.

Putting the numeric example into a geometric rectangle & square approach will make the process of Completing The Square, very very clear. If you cannot find this or cannot figure it on your own, say, and someone will provide something.

symbolipoint said:
Putting the numeric example into a geometric rectangle & square approach will make the process of Completing The Square, very very clear. If you cannot find this or cannot figure it on your own, say, and someone will provide something.

Yes, please show me, I am interested.

To complete the square of ##x^2 +bx+c ##, you add and subtract ## (b/2)^2 ##. The important thing is to get ## x^2+bx+c=(x+\frac{b}{2})^2+c-(\frac{b}{2})^2 ##. You usually don't need to put it in the form ## (x+e)^2-d^2 ##.

The ## -d^2 ## term is often better left simply as ##c-(\frac{b}{2})^2 ##.

The ## x^2+bx ## that is at the core of this operation. To make it a square, you add ## (\frac{b}{2})^2 ##.

Last edited:
You know ##\left( x+a\right) ^{2}=x^{2}+2ax+a^{2}## ?
So to get the ##x## term inside a square of (##x##+ something) your 3 will have to equal ##2a##, so ##a=\dfrac {3}{2}## and the expression is ##\left( x+\dfrac {3}{2}\right) ^{2}-\dfrac {1}{4}## or if preferred
$$\left( x+\dfrac {3}{2}\right) ^{2}-\left( \dfrac {1}{2}\right) ^{2}$$
I wonder at what school you never saw anything like that? :oldsmile:
I know you got it in the end, seen in an excercise on indefinite integration, where you have to get the integrand in the form
$$\dfrac {1}{\sqrt {\left( u^{2}-1\right) }}$$
That and similar problems by the way are in every calculus textbook with a chapter on indefinite integration - one of the half dozen or so standard forms which with their variations and disguises make up the standard forms frequently encountered and that can actually be integrated in terms of standard functions.

Likes Charles Link
askor said:
Yes, please show me, I am interested.
Please try a search on the internet, or especially a search on YouTube.

Here is one which looks ok based on just the thumbnail:

The part YOU want to see begins at about 1:50 on the timeline.

askor said:
How do you complete the square of this?:

##x^2 - 3x - 7##

I already worked on this but the result is not integer:

##(x - 1.5)^2 - (\sqrt{9.25})^2##

Is my above work correct?

How do you obtain the result in integer?
Here's a question. We have a quadratic equation $$ax^2 + bx + c$$ with up to two solutions given by $$x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}$$ Does that quadratic formula apply (assuming ##a \ne 0##):

1) For any integers ##a, b, c##.

2) For any rational numbers ##a, b, c##.

3) For any real numbers ##a, b, c##

Related to Basic Completing the Square Question

What is the purpose of completing the square?

The purpose of completing the square is to manipulate a quadratic equation into a perfect square trinomial form, which makes it easier to solve and graph.

How do I complete the square?

To complete the square, follow these steps:

1. Make sure the coefficient of the squared term is 1.
  2. Move the constant term to the other side of the equation.
  3. Take half of the coefficient of the linear term and square it.
  4. Add this value to both sides of the equation.
  5. Factor the perfect square trinomial on the left side.
  6. Simplify and solve for the variable.

Why is completing the square useful?

Completing the square is useful because it allows us to solve quadratic equations that cannot be solved using other methods, such as factoring or the quadratic formula.

Can I use completing the square to solve any quadratic equation?

Yes, you can use completing the square to solve any quadratic equation. However, it may not always be the most efficient method, so it's important to consider other methods as well.

What are some real-life applications of completing the square?

Completing the square has many real-life applications, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function, determining the optimal dimensions for a box or container, and solving projectile motion problems in physics.