Basic conversion question physics 101

• Thread starter vysero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a Gry is an old English measure for length, defined as 1/10 of a line, where "line" is another old English measure for length, defined as 1/12 inch. A common measure for length in the publishing business is a "point", defined as 1/72 inch. What is an area of 0.50 gry^2 in points squared (points^2)?
vysero
A "gry" is an old English measure for length, defined as 1/10 of a line, where "line" is another old English measure for length, defined as 1/12 inch. A common measure for length in the publishing business is a "point", defined as 1/72 inch. What is an area of 0.50 gry^2 in points squared (points^2)?

I suck at math and am having trouble figured out how to deal with the square units.

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you write down how much 1 gry is, the squaring just becomes as simple as

1 cm = 10-2 m

square both sides

1 cm2 = 10-4 m2

Wait it tells me what 1 gry is, it is = 1/10 of a line. I am confused should I just figure out how many gry's are in a point and then set that conversion = to .50 gry^2?

I did not want to start a whole new thread but I have stumbled on another basic conversion problem. Do not get me wrong I am still having trouble with the first but here is the second problem.

A tourist purchases a car in England and ships it home to the United States. The car sticker advertised that the car"s fuel consumption was at the rate of 40 miles per gallon on the open road. The tourist does not realize that the U.K. gallon differs form the U.S. gallon: 1 U.K. gallon = 4.5460900 liters 1 U.S. gallon = 3.7854118 liters.
For a trip of 750 miles (in the United States), how many gallons of fuel does (a) the mistaken tourist believe she needs and (b) the car actually require?

The reason this is throwing me off was because I thought figuring your gallons was as simple as dividing your mileage by your mpg... like 750miles/40mpg= 18.75gal

So was I right? I thought I mite be so then here is what I did to figure the difference...

4.5460900-3.7854118 = .7606782

I then converted that into gallons and said that she needed .200950016 extra gallons of gas... I think I messed this problem all up thought. Please help.

vysero said:
Wait it tells me what 1 gry is, it is = 1/10 of a line. I am confused should I just figure out how many gry's are in a point and then set that conversion = to .50 gry^2?

You want to convert gry^2 to point^2, so yes, you will need to find how much 1 gry is equal to in point.

It says 1 gry = 1/10 line

It also tells you how much a line is. So keep going until you get 1 gry = point.

Ok well I am not sure if I am correct but I came up with .0115740741 gry's/point does that sound right and if it is what do i do next? Is this the part where I set that = to .50 gry^2?

That isn't quite right, can you show your calculation?

Sure I went:

gry / 1/10line x line / 1/12in x 1/72in / point = (1/72) / (1/10)(1/12)= .0115740741 gry's/point

I am not sure where I went wrong...

Ah, simple calculator error. You calculated [(1/72)/(1/10)] X (1/12)

You need to calculate

(1/72) / [(1/10)x(1/12)]

Then your answer is correct

Ok so 1.666666667 gry's/point does that look right? Now do I have to set this equal to .50 gry^2?

How would that help you? You're saying:

1.6666666 gry / point = 0.50 gry^2

I don't see the logic in that.

You want 0.5 gry^2 in point^2. First figure out what 1 gry equals in terms of points, i.e.

1 gry = x points

Then calculate out 0.5 gry^2

Hmm so if 1.666666667 gry's/point then 1 gry = .59999999988 points right? So now I am confused my what you mean when you say calculate out 0.5 gry^2.

Like take the square root of that or do you mean change it too .25 gry's? I am having trouble seeing what I should do next my logic sucks.

Round that up to 1 gry = 0.6 points. It's the accurate answer.

Perhaps we should ask the question like this.

Calculate 0.5 x (1 gry)^2

What is that in points?

vysero said:
Ok so 1.666666667 gry's/point does that look right? Now do I have to set this equal to .50 gry^2?

[itex]\displaystyle (1.667\frac{gry}{point})^{2}=2.778\frac{gry^{2}}{point^{2}}[/itex]

Using that conversion factor, it should be easy for you to convert from gry2 to point2. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Does 5.56 point^2 sound right?

vysero said:
Does 5.56 point^2 sound right?

Always make sure you work through the units. Here's what you did:
[itex]\displaystyle 2.778\frac{gry^{2}}{point^{2}}×\frac{1}{0.5 gry^{2}}=5.56\frac{1}{point^{2}}[/itex]

What you want to do is:
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{point^{2}}{gry^{2}}×gry^{2}[/itex]

Here's another hint: you can flip the conversion factor to read:
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{2.778}\frac{point^{2}}{gry^{2}}[/itex]

Last edited:
So 1.4 point^2? I am sorry I am so confused for some stupid reason. Or maybe .6945 point^2?

Last edited:
1 point^2/2.778 gry^2 x .5 gry^2/1 = .19 point^2

I feel like I am just grasping at straws here guys maybe I just shouldn't be doing this stuff.

Nevermind this post

Last edited:
I think it's too late for me to be doing math. Don't mind my previous post, here's how you do the conversion:

[itex]\displaystyle 0.5gry^{2} × \frac{1}{2.778}\frac{point^{2}}{gry^{2}} = 0.18 point^{2}[/itex]

Notice that gry2 cancels to leave only point2 in the numerator.

Last edited:

Related to Basic conversion question physics 101

1. What is basic conversion in physics?

Basic conversion in physics refers to the process of changing a physical quantity from one unit to another. This is important because different units of measurement are used for the same physical quantity in different contexts, and being able to convert between them is essential for accurate and consistent measurements.

2. Why is it important to convert units in physics?

Converting units in physics is important because it allows us to compare and analyze data from different sources. It also helps us to understand and communicate concepts more clearly, as well as make accurate predictions and calculations.

3. How do you convert units in physics?

To convert units in physics, you need to know the conversion factor, which is the numerical value used to convert from one unit to another. You then multiply the quantity by the conversion factor, which cancels out the original unit and leaves you with the desired unit.

4. What are the most commonly used units in physics?

The most commonly used units in physics are the SI units (International System of Units), which include meters (m) for length, kilograms (kg) for mass, seconds (s) for time, and kelvin (K) for temperature. Other commonly used units include joules (J) for energy, newtons (N) for force, and watts (W) for power.

5. Are there any tools or resources available for unit conversion in physics?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available for unit conversion in physics. These include online conversion calculators, conversion charts and tables, and even smartphone apps. It is also important to have a good understanding of dimensional analysis, which is a method used to convert between units in a systematic way.