Basic EE Question (Related to Energy Consumption)

• Thread starter ronny2412
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses a small manufacturing facility's energy consumption and the potential for a new switching power converter to reduce energy usage for fluorescent lighting by 25%. The facility wants to know how much they can invest in this project to recover costs within one year.
ronny2412

Homework Statement

You are an electrical engineer in a small manufacturing facility that uses an average energy consumption of 100 MW-hr/day to run the facility (365 days a year). Of this amount, 20% goes towards fluorescent lighting. The cost that the facility pays is costs $0.21 kW-hr. You find a small company that has developed a new switch- ing power converter for supplying energy to the fluorescent lights. The converter allows a 25% reduction in energy consumption of this type of lighting.
(a) The facility would like to recover the costs of the project after 1 year, how much capital invest could you spend to upgrade and install the new power converters? You can ignore the effect of interest rates for the year!
hidden hidden hidden
space

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the total energy consumed by the facility in one year.
Then I found the energy consumed by fluorescent light in 1 year & its cost.

Then I found the new consumption cost of the fluorescent light. (taking into account the 25% reduction).
I then found the TOTAL cost incurred by the facility with new config (inclusion of power converters)

After this I am stuck. I am pretty much unable to arrive on what the question asks you to find.

Can somebody please explain? How to go about from here?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) The facility would like to recover the costs of the project after 1 year, how much capital invest could you spend to upgrade and install the new power converters?

So the cost of installing the kit (the amount that you can spend) must be less than the saving in year 1.

FAQ: Basic EE Question (Related to Energy Consumption)

1. What is energy consumption?

Energy consumption refers to the amount of energy used by individuals, households, or organizations to power their daily activities. This includes electricity, gas, oil, and other forms of energy.

2. Why is energy consumption important?

Energy consumption is important because it affects both our daily lives and the environment. It impacts the cost of living, as well as the availability and reliability of energy sources. Additionally, high levels of energy consumption contribute to environmental issues such as air pollution and climate change.

3. How can we reduce energy consumption?

There are several ways to reduce energy consumption, such as using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and using renewable energy sources. Energy conservation and efficiency practices can also help reduce energy consumption.

4. What are the benefits of reducing energy consumption?

Reducing energy consumption can lead to cost savings, improved energy security, and a cleaner environment. It also helps to reduce our dependence on non-renewable energy sources, which are finite and contribute to climate change.

5. How does energy consumption impact the environment?

High levels of energy consumption contribute to environmental issues such as air pollution, water pollution, and climate change. The production and consumption of energy also require the use of natural resources, which can have negative impacts on ecosystems and biodiversity.