Basic Energy and Time Uncertainty Problem

In summary, a pi zero meson is an unstable particle with a mass-energy equivalent of about 135MeV and an average lifetime of 8.7x10^-17 seconds. To estimate the fractional uncertainty in its mass determination, the uncertainty principle is used with the equation ΔEΔt = h/2π, which gives the correct answer. This differs from the usual formulation of the uncertainty inequality, ΔfΔg ≥ ℏ/2.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A pi zero meson is an unstable particle produced in high energy particle collisions. It has a mass-energy equivalent of about 135MeV, and it exists for an average life-time of only 8.7x10^-17 seconds before decaying into two gamma rays. Using the uncertainty principle, estimate the fractional uncertainty Δm/m in its mass determination.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok,

I know mc^2 = 135 MeV = 2.16x10^-11 J
Δt = 8.7x10-17 s

And I suspect I am supposed to use ΔtΔE ≥ h/(4pi)

Taking a wild stab in the dark here based off of some examples I've looked at:

ΔE/E = Δm/m ?

if so, I am given E, and the time-energy uncertainty equation will give me ΔE, so I can calculate Δm/m

only I'm getting the wrong answer.

This question is addressed in a previous thread, located here, where Javier suggests using ΔEΔt = h/2pi instead of h/4pi

When I use this method to calculate ΔE, then use ΔE/E = Δm/m, I get the correct answer.

Why do I have to use h/2pi instead of h/4pi?

Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand it, the usual formulation of the uncertainty inequality is ΔfΔg ≥ ℏ/2. Since ℏ = h/2π, that's h/4π.

Yeah. but if you check the thread I linked to, someone says in this instance he should use ℏ instead of ℏ/2. i used it, and it gave me the correct answer. I'm just not sure why

Related to Basic Energy and Time Uncertainty Problem

1. What is the basic energy and time uncertainty problem?

The basic energy and time uncertainty problem is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact energy and time of a quantum system. This is due to the inherent uncertainty and unpredictability of quantum particles.

2. How does the uncertainty principle affect our understanding of energy and time?

The uncertainty principle states that the more accurately we know the energy of a particle, the less accurately we can know its time and vice versa. This means that there will always be a level of uncertainty in our measurements of energy and time, and our understanding of these concepts is limited by this principle.

3. How does the uncertainty principle relate to Heisenberg's famous uncertainty principle?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is a specific case of the basic energy and time uncertainty problem. It states that the product of the uncertainty in a particle's position and momentum must always be greater than or equal to a certain value. This principle is a direct result of the basic energy and time uncertainty problem.

4. Are there any practical applications of the uncertainty principle?

Yes, there are several practical applications of the uncertainty principle in various fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and medical imaging. For example, the uncertainty principle is used in MRI machines to create high-resolution images of internal body structures.

5. Is the uncertainty principle a limitation of our measurement tools or a fundamental aspect of the universe?

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental aspect of the universe and is not a limitation of our measurement tools. It is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. It is an inherent property of quantum particles and is essential to our understanding of the microscopic world.