Basic equivalent resistance problem

In summary, the concept of equivalent resistance involves simplifying a circuit into a single resistor. This is done by combining resistors in series and parallel. To calculate equivalent resistance, different formulas are used for resistors in series and parallel. Equivalent resistance is important because it simplifies complex circuits and helps us understand their behavior. It is possible for the equivalent resistance to be greater than the individual resistances in a circuit, especially when resistors are connected in parallel. Equivalent resistance and total resistance are two terms that refer to the same concept, but they may be calculated differently depending on the circuit.
qpham26

Homework Statement

Find Rab
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/199915_496321627054024_1130826860_n.jpg

Homework Equations

Req = R1R2 / R1+ R2

The Attempt at a Solution

bottom 2Ω resistors in series ---> Req1 = 4Ω

top right 12 and 4 Ω in parallel ---> Req2 = 3Ω

this 3Ω and the left top 6Ω are in parallel ---> Req3 = 2Ω

2 resistors of 4Ω bottom left are in parallel -->Req4 = 2Ω

Req4 and Req3 are in series --->Req5 = 4Ω

Req5 and Req1 are in parallel ----> Req6 = 2Ω

Rab = 3Ω + 2Ω = 5Ω

please let me know if I have gotten the correct answer.
Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also make it 5 Ohms slightly different way..

[{(6//12//4) + (4//4)} // {2+2}] + 3

[{2 + 2} // {4}] + 3

[4//4] +3

2 + 3 = 5

FAQ: Basic equivalent resistance problem

1. What is the basic concept of equivalent resistance?

The basic concept of equivalent resistance is that it is the total resistance of a circuit when simplified into a single resistor. This is done by combining multiple resistors in series and parallel.

2. How can I calculate equivalent resistance?

To calculate equivalent resistance, you can use the following formulas:- For resistors in series: Req = R1 + R2 + R3 + ...- For resistors in parallel: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...

3. Why is equivalent resistance important?

Equivalent resistance is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits into a single resistor, making calculations and analysis easier. It also helps us understand the behavior of the circuit as a whole.

4. Can equivalent resistance be greater than the individual resistances in a circuit?

Yes, it is possible for the equivalent resistance to be greater than the individual resistances in a circuit. This can happen when resistors are connected in parallel, as the total resistance decreases with each additional resistor in parallel.

5. Is equivalent resistance the same as total resistance?

Yes, equivalent resistance and total resistance refer to the same concept of the total resistance in a circuit when simplified into a single resistor. However, they may be calculated differently depending on the type of circuit.