Basic Fluid Energy: Pressure, GPE & KE

In summary, Bernoulli's Law states that the pressure and flow rate at two points in space are related by the equation: P1-P2=½ρ(v22-v12)+ρg(h2-h1)
BobP
In fluid dynamics, the total energy of a fluid can be given as:
Pressure energy + gravitational potential energy + KE
or
P + ρgh + ½ρ(v^2)

But I have also seen the expression

P - ρgh + ½ρ(v^2)

NOTE the minus sign in the second equation.

Which is correct? Why are both equations used
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
BobP said:
In fluid dynamics, the total energy of a fluid can be given as:
Pressure energy + gravitational potential energy + KE
or
P + ρgh + ½ρ(v^2)

But I have also seen the expression

P - ρgh + ½ρ(v^2)

NOTE the minus sign in the second equation.

Which is correct? Why are both equations used
Thank you
In the first equation, h is measured upward, and, in the second equation, h is measured downward.

Chet

Likes BobP
Chestermiller said:
In the first equation, h is measured upward, and, in the second equation, h is measured downward.

Chet
Ok, so in an examination how do I know which to use?

PS I am studying haemodynamics (energy of blood in the body)

You pick whichever makes more sense. At the end of the day, any particle (fluid or otherwise) should gain potential energy if it is moved in a direction against gravity. So if one pet of a fluid flow is "above" another with respect to gravity, then moving that direction should make the ##\rho g h## term larger no matter which sign convention you choose.

Likes BobP
d
boneh3ad said:
You pick whichever makes more sense. At the end of the day, any particle (fluid or otherwise) should gain potential energy if it is moved in a direction against gravity. So if one pet of a fluid flow is "above" another with respect to gravity, then moving that direction should make the ##\rho g h## term larger no matter which sign convention you choose.
Fingers crossed it will make sense in the exam!

It's really pretty simple. When in doubt, pick the one with the plus sign and treat ##h## as positive in the "up" direction. I've honestly never seen it used the other way.

Likes BobP
In the usual applications of Bernoulli's Law one compares the pressure at one point to that of another to the flow rate and height at one point to that of another. Thus

P1 -P2 = ½ρ(v22 -v12) +ρg(h2 - h1)

One only has to look at the data to enter the proper values.

Likes BobP
In exams you will need to find the difference in total energies. Not absolute energy. So using proper sign conventions h can be positive negative or zero. Depends on the reference frame.

Likes BobP
Thanks all for your replies!

Related to Basic Fluid Energy: Pressure, GPE & KE

1. What is fluid energy?

Fluid energy is the energy possessed by a fluid, such as a liquid or gas, due to its motion or position.

2. What is pressure?

Pressure is the force per unit area applied by a fluid on a surface. It is measured in units of Pascal (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

3. How is pressure related to fluid energy?

Pressure is a measure of the amount of fluid energy exerted on a surface. The higher the pressure, the more fluid energy is present.

4. What is gravitational potential energy (GPE)?

Gravitational potential energy (GPE) is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. It is dependent on the object's mass, height, and the strength of the gravitational field.

5. How is kinetic energy (KE) related to fluid energy?

Kinetic energy (KE) is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of fluid energy, KE is related to the velocity of the fluid particles. The faster the particles are moving, the more fluid energy is present in the form of KE.