Basic Forces Question (Piano Slides Across Floor)

• Thread starter Plutonium88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the problem involves a piano sliding across a floor with a mass of 500kg. To solve for the normal force, the formula Fnet = MA is used, with given values of m = 500kg and fnetx = 1300N. The normal force is found to be 4900N upward. To find the coefficient of friction, the equation fnetx = max = -FFR is used, where a force of 1300N is applied in the x-direction and a friction force of 1300N is applied in the negative x-direction. The resultant force is found to be 0, indicating that the object is at constant velocity. The coefficient of friction is calculated to be 0
Plutonium88

Homework Statement

A piano slides across a floor with a mass of 500kg.

A) solve for the normal force
B) A horizontal force 1300 is necessary to keep it in motion at constant speed find the coefficient of friction

Homework Equations

Fnet = MA

The Attempt at a Solution

Given: m= 500kg , fnetx=1300N

fnety= FN - FG = 0
Fn=Fg
FN=4900 N upward

b) fnetx = max = 1300N = -FFR
(i made my +x opposite the force of friction)

1300N = -FFR
1300 = mu*FN
mu = 1300/FN
mu = 1300/4900
mu= 0.265

Now a question arises...

I understand that ax must be 0 because it is at a constant velocity...

But I'm just curious because FFR = Fnetx

That means FFR= 1300N

So doesn't this mean that this unbalanced force will slow down the piano and not keep it at a constant motion? Anyways Yea i would appreciate some help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
1300N is not Fnetx. A force of 1300N is applied in the x-direction, and a friction force of 1300N is applied in the negative x-direction. Fnetx is the resultant of these two forces, and since they're equal/opposite forces, the resultant force is 0.

Nessdude14 said:
1300N is not Fnetx. A force of 1300N is applied in the x-direction, and a friction force of 1300N is applied in the negative x-direction. Fnetx is the resultant of these two forces, and since they're equal/opposite forces, the resultant force is 0.

So how can that be right if the net force is 0, that means that the forces are balanced, therefore the object must be at rest.

IE: FNETY=FN-FG=0 this proves an object stationary in the vertical direction

So if Fnetx= Fa - FFr = 0

Therefore the object cannot moving horizontally because there is no imbalanced force? It would be at rest..

Also to note.

If FA = FFR

Therefore 1300 = Mu*FN
Mu = 1300/FN = 0.265

This yields also, the same answer.

Please further elaborate your answer?

*Also i don't think you can say because they are equal and opposite forces it is equal to zero*

The only thing that implies Fnetx=0 is the fact it says it is uniform velocity.

So therefore Fnetx=m*ax if ax=0 Fnetx = 0

Last edited:
:( some one else help me please?

If the net force is 0, that means there is no acceleration (no change in velocity). Whatever initial velocity the object had will be maintained. Presumably, at some point there were imbalanced forces which accelerated the piano to some velocity before the start of the problem.

Your answer should be unaffected by this, and it seems to me that you did everything right otherwise.

Last edited:
Nessdude14 said:
If the net force is 0, that means there is no acceleration (no change in velocity). Whatever initial velocity the object had will be maintained. Presumably, at some point there were imbalanced forces which accelerated the piano to some velocity before the start of the problem.

Your answer should be unaffected by this, and it seems to me that you did everything right otherwise.

So is it similar to the property of Inertia, in the sense that you are trying to apply a force strong enough to to compensate for the friction, so that it is almost as if no forces act horizontally? This way in the sense of inertia, the object is still moving at the same velocity, because no "External" force is able to act, because the external force is compensated for?

And also thank you.

FAQ: Basic Forces Question (Piano Slides Across Floor)

1. What are the four basic forces?

The four basic forces are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How do these forces affect the movement of objects?

Gravity is responsible for the attraction between objects with mass, causing objects to fall towards the center of the Earth. Electromagnetism is responsible for the interactions between electrically charged particles, such as the movement of electrons in wires. Strong nuclear force holds the nucleus of an atom together, while weak nuclear force is responsible for radioactive decay. All of these forces play a role in the movement of objects in different ways.

3. How does gravity affect the movement of the piano across the floor?

Gravity is the force that pulls the piano towards the ground, creating its weight. As the piano slides across the floor, friction, another basic force, acts in the opposite direction, slowing down the movement. The piano will continue to move until the forces are balanced.

4. Is there a way to increase or decrease the forces acting on the piano?

Yes, there are ways to increase or decrease the forces acting on the piano. For example, by increasing the mass of the piano, the force of gravity will also increase, making it harder to move. Similarly, by changing the surface of the floor, the amount of friction can be altered, affecting the degree of resistance to movement.

5. How do these forces relate to everyday life?

These forces play a crucial role in our everyday lives. Gravity keeps us grounded and allows us to walk, while electromagnetism is responsible for the functioning of many electronic devices. Strong and weak nuclear forces are essential for the stability of matter and the processes of nuclear energy production. Understanding these basic forces can help us better understand the world around us and how it works.

Back