Basic kinematic problem, find velocity using certain data

In summary, the physicist would calculate the work done by applying a force to an object and then use the energy equation to find the speed of the object.
SqueeSpleen
Hi. Sorry, couldn't make a more specific tittle, I'm not used to solve physics problems.
A friend of mine handed me the following problem:

Homework Statement

You have a graph that denotes the aceleration of an object as a function of the position of the object. This object has a mass of 10 Kg.
What's the speed when the position is equal to 4 meters?

Homework Equations

$$ r(t) = a \dfrac{t^{2}}{2} + v_{0}.t $$
$$ F=m.a $$[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I consider I did right:
I have translated the problem to the following one, I guess it's right but it's too complicated:

You have a object that's initially still, and then you accelerate it at 6m/s^2 for certain time t, until it goes 2 meters. Then, you the acceleration is linear and I wrote it as 6m/s^2 times (4m-r(t))/2m times 6m/s^2 where r(t) denotes the position as function of the time.
First step to solve it, as the acceleration is constant in the beggining:
$$ 6 \frac{m}{s^{2}}.\dfrac{t^{2}}{2} = 2m $$
$$ t^{2} = \frac{2}{3} s^{2} $$
$$ t = \sqrt{ \frac{2}{3} } s = \dfrac{\sqrt{6}}{3}$$
Also using this we know that the speed of the object when it's at 2 meters of it's original location
$$ \sqrt{ \frac{2}{3} } s 6 \frac{m}{s^{2}}=2. \sqrt{6} m/s $$

Where I think I got things messy:

So I make the acceleration as function of time, we have
$$a(t) = \frac{4m-r(t)}{2m} \cdot 6 \frac{m}{s^{2}} $$
$$a(t) = 12\frac{m}{s^{2}} 3-r(t) \frac{1}{s^{2}} $$
Drop the units and remplace a(t) for r''(t)
$$r''(t)+3r(t) = 12$$
$$r( \dfrac{\sqrt{6}}{3} ) =2 \qquad r'(\dfrac{\sqrt{6}}{3})=\dfrac{\sqrt{6}}{3}.6=2 \sqrt{6} $$
Solved the initial value problem, the solution which I think is valid when r(t) is between 2 and 4 is:
$$ 2 \cdot \left( \sqrt{2} . \sin \left( \sqrt{2} - \sqrt{3} \cdot t \right) +cos( \sqrt{2} -\sqrt{3} \cdot t ) -2 ) \right) $$
Put r(t)=4 and got
$$t_{4} = \dfrac{ \left( arctan \left( \dfrac{ \sqrt{2} }{2} \right) + \sqrt{2} \right) \sqrt{3} }{3} $$

So r'(t_{4}) is 6m/s, but I'm sure there's a better way to solve it, but I have too little physics training to find out by myself.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Graph.png
    Graph.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you got there in the end (I didn't check your math very closely), but there is indeed an easier way to get there.

Consider an energy approach. On a graph of force versus distance the area under the curve represents the work done. You should be able to practically read off by inspection the total work done on the mass.

Likes SqueeSpleen
The physicist's approach would be to consider energy. How do you get the KE from the force applied as a function of distance covered?

You do not show how you solved the differential equation. Did you not get an expression for ##\dot r^2## at some point? From there you can go straight to the answer without finding r(t). This is equivalent to the energy approach.

Edit: pipped by gneill.

Likes SqueeSpleen
Thank you! It's supposed to be homework of a first course of physics, and they didn't had differential equations so I was sure there was a way to work around it.
So the total work is
$$ 2m \cdot 6 \dfrac{m}{s^{2}} +\dfrac{(2m+0m)}{2} \cdot 6 \dfrac{m}{s^{2}} = 18 \dfrac{m^{2}}{s^{2}} $$
I'll see if I remember well. Work was the energy invested in accelerating something you accelerated a certain distance.
So
$$18 \dfrac{ m^{2} }{ s^{2} } = \dfrac{ v^{2} }{2} $$
$$36 \dfrac{ m^{2} }{ s^{2} } = v^{2} $$
$$6 \dfrac{m}{s} = v $$
Thank you very much!

Related to Basic kinematic problem, find velocity using certain data

1. What is a basic kinematic problem?

A basic kinematic problem is a problem that involves using the principles of kinematics, a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects, to solve for unknown quantities such as velocity, displacement, and acceleration.

2. What data is needed to find velocity in a basic kinematic problem?

To find velocity in a basic kinematic problem, you will need information about the object's initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and time.

3. How do you solve a basic kinematic problem?

To solve a basic kinematic problem, you can use the equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, to manipulate and solve for the unknown quantity. It is also important to carefully analyze the given data and identify which variables are known and which are unknown.

4. What are some common units used in basic kinematic problems?

Common units used in basic kinematic problems include meters (m) for displacement, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration, and seconds (s) for time.

5. How can finding velocity in a basic kinematic problem be useful?

Finding velocity in a basic kinematic problem can be useful in many real-life situations, such as calculating the speed of a moving vehicle, determining the velocity of a falling object, or predicting the motion of a projectile. It is also an important concept in understanding more complex physics concepts, such as momentum and energy.