Basic Logic Circuit for a vending machine

In summary, the student attempted to solve the problem by using a truth table, a single Quad AND IC, and some tricks to implement the logic.
jmckennon

Homework Statement

Design a logic circuit to simulate the circuitry that might exist in a vending machine. the vending machine accepts inputs of nickels, dimes, and quarters but only one of each. It dispenses water and beer. Use three logic switches to simulate the coin detectors one each for nickels dimes and quarters. and two indicator lights for water and beer. for amounts less than 15 cents, no output is given. for amounts of 15-30 cents, water is dispensed. for amounts over 30 cents, beer is dispensed.

This problem was assigned in my 3 hour lab period today, and none of the groups were able to draw out a sketch of the possible AND, OR, and NAND combinations that could make this circuit work.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just beginning in digital logic so i don't have much logical background. I started off by making a truth table

N D Q W B
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 1 0
0 1 0 0 0
0 1 1 0 1
1 0 0 0 0
1 0 1 1 0
1 1 0 1 0
1 1 1 0 1

we used 1 7408 series AND gate chip, but I don't really know how to draw out the circuit. It's worth a hefty amount of points on my exam wednesday morning so any help would be appreciated in drawing how this circuit would work

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.utcbanyat.com/Web%20_Digital/GATE%20PICTURE/7408.gif

is the picture of the chip we used. i know the outputs are pins 3 and 11, but if i were to draw out the circuit logically, OR use it on a breadboard, how would i get this to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
You're only allowed to use one Quad AND IC to implement the truth table? AND gates by themselves are not sufficient to implement general logic. If you are asked to use just the single Quad AND IC, then you will have to use some tricks to implement that truth table, it would seem.

If you are allowed to use any number of NAND gates (which are sufficient by themselves to implement general logic), or if you can use a mix of inverters, OR and AND gates, then you would re-write the truth table above, with the 3 left columns sorted in an order so that only one bit changes at a time (what is this ordering called?), and then draw 2 Karnaugh maps -- one for each output. Then group terms on the K-maps, and implement those minterms with your logic gates. Sound familiar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minterms

FAQ: Basic Logic Circuit for a vending machine

1. What is a basic logic circuit?

A basic logic circuit is a collection of electronic components, such as transistors and resistors, designed to perform logical operations. These operations include AND, OR, and NOT functions, which are used to manipulate binary inputs and produce a desired output.

2. How does a basic logic circuit work in a vending machine?

In a vending machine, a basic logic circuit controls the dispensing of products and the collection of payment. When a customer makes a selection, the circuit receives input from the selection buttons and compares it to the available products. If the selected product is available and the payment is sufficient, the circuit will activate the dispensing mechanism and deduct the appropriate amount from the payment input.

3. What are the benefits of using a basic logic circuit in a vending machine?

The use of a basic logic circuit allows for a simplified and efficient control system in vending machines. It also reduces the chances of human error and ensures accurate dispensing and payment processing. Additionally, these circuits are relatively inexpensive and can be easily programmed for different products and prices.

4. Can a basic logic circuit be modified for different vending machines?

Yes, a basic logic circuit can be customized and modified for different vending machines. The circuit can be programmed to accommodate various products, prices, and payment methods. However, the physical components of the circuit may need to be altered to fit the specific vending machine design.

5. Are there any limitations to using a basic logic circuit in a vending machine?

While a basic logic circuit is an effective control system for vending machines, it does have some limitations. It can only perform the logical operations programmed into it, and it may not be able to handle complex situations. Additionally, if the circuit malfunctions, it may require specialized knowledge to repair and may result in the vending machine being out of service until it is fixed.