Basic physics – mechanics (it is not homework)

In summary: Another hint: think about air resistance and how it would affect the flea's motion.In summary, the conversation is about an example and solution from a book on physics. The example is about analyzing a flea's jump using slow-motion photography and separating it into two parts. The conversation then goes on to ask for help in understanding a calculation that appears to be incorrect and what factors may have affected the flea's jump that were not taken into account in the calculation. The conversation ends with a hint to consider physical factors, like air resistance, in the flea's jump.
optics.tech
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask somebody here that could better understand than me of the following example from a book Physics – Principles with Applications, 3rd ed. by Douglas C. Giancoli, Prentice Hall, page 33. Here is the example http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8103/fleajb0.jpg"

Example 2-12
The jump of a flea can be analyzed using slow-motion photography. The motion can be separated into two parts. The first is the “push off,” lasting about 10-3 second, during which the flea’s legs push against the ground and accelerate it to a speed of about 1.0 m/s. The second part is the flight of the flea into the air subject only to gravity http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8103/fleajb0.jpg" Calculate:

(a) the acceleration of the flea during push off expressed as a multiple of g, the acceleration of gravity;
(b) the distance above the ground the flea reaches during push off; and
(c) the height the flea should reach during the second period when its acceleration is that of gravity. Assume the jump is vertical.

Solution:
Let us take the upward direction as positive, with y0 = 0.

(a) During the push off, the acceleration is

[tex]a = \frac{v - v_{0}}{t} = \frac{1.0 \ m/s - 0}{10^{-3} \ s} = 1000 \ m/s^2.[/tex]

The magnitude of the acceleration is (1000 m/s2)/(9.80 m/s2) [tex]\approx[/tex] 100 times the acceleration of gravity. Thus a [tex]\approx[/tex] 100 g.

(b) We use equation [tex]x = x_{0} + V_{0}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 ,[/tex] replacing x with y:

[tex]y = \frac{1}{2}at^{2} = 0.5(10^{3} \ m/s^{2})(10^{-3} \ s)^{2}
= 0.5 * 10^{-3} \ m = 0.05 \ cm[/tex]

(c) Now the acceleration is solely due to gravity, so a = -9.80 m/s2 and the initial velocity for this second period is 1.0 m/s. We use equation [tex]v^{2} = v_{0}^{2} + 2a(x - x_{0}),[/tex] with v = 0 (we are considering the highest point):

[tex]y = \frac{v^{2} - v_{0}^{2}}{2a} = \frac{0 - (1.0 \ m/s)^{2}}{2(-9.80 \ m/s^{2})} = 0.05 \ m = 5 \ cm.[/tex]

Photographs indicate that the flea jumps only about two-thirds this high. Can you guess why our calculation is off?

All of the example and solutions was just mentioned above. So can anyone tell me what the author means by the “calculation is off”? This problem is so difficult for me and makes me can’t do the exercise in this chapter. I need to understand this example of problem first.

Thank you very much on your help for this

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
optics.tech said:
All of the example and solutions was just mentioned above. So can anyone tell me what the author means by the “calculation is off”? This problem is so difficult for me and makes me can’t do the exercise in this chapter. I need to understand this example of problem first.

Thank you very much on your help for this
Can you think of any factors the would have affected the height of the flea's jump and which you didn't take into account?

Can you think of any factors that would have affected the height of the flea's jump and which you didn't take into account?

Hi Hootenanny,

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry but…..

I really don’t know which factor is it!

All of the factor

[tex]v_{0}, v, a / g, y_{0}, y[/tex]

is already known and obtained unless its time or

[tex]t[/tex].

Don't consider mathematical factors, consider physical factors. Remember that the mathematics is only a model, and the flea is in the real world.

As Varnick has already said, you should be looking at physical factors. For example, are there any forces that would act on the flea in real life that your model hasn't taken into account?

Related to Basic physics – mechanics (it is not homework)

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while speed does not.

2. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does friction affect motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It can either slow down or stop the motion of an object, depending on the direction of the force. Friction also causes objects to heat up due to the energy lost during the interaction.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant regardless of location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

5. How does an object's center of mass affect its stability?

An object's center of mass is the point where all of its mass is evenly distributed. The lower an object's center of mass, the more stable it is, as it is less prone to tipping over. This is why objects like pyramids and tripods have a wide base and a low center of mass.