Basic sturm liouville boundary problems

• Thread starter Pi Face
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boundary
In summary, π is not included in the boundary if it would tell you the equation of the function at π but the attempt at a solution does not work because the eigenvalues/functions are not given.
Pi Face

Homework Statement

Compute the eigenvalues/functions of the given regular S-L problem

f''(x)+λf(x)=0
0<x<π
f(0)=0
f'(π)=0

2. The attempt at a solution

First off, why is π not included in the given boundary if it tells you f'(x) at π?

Now for my attempt:

assuming λ=0
f''(x)+0*f(x)=0
f''(x)=0
f'(x)=a, and f'(π)=0 so a=0
f(x)=ax+b, but a=0 so f(x)=b, and f(0)=0 so b also =0
therefore
f(x)=ax+b=0+0=0
so this doesn't really help

assuming λ>0
f''(x)+λf(x)=0
char eqn: r^2+λ=0
r=±√(λ)i
f(x)=c1*cos(√(λ)x)+c2*sin(√(λ)x)
f(0)=0 so plug in 0 ->f(0)=c1*cos(0)+c2*sin(0)c1=c1=0, therefore c1=0
now we are left with
f(x)=c2*sin(√(λ)x)
f'(x)=c2*√(λ)*sin(√(λ)x)
f'(π)=c2*√(λ)*sin(√(λ)π)=0
we can conclude than c2=0 or λ=0 but that wouldn't get us anywhere
instead, we assume
sin(√(λ)π)=0
√(λ)π=n*π (where n=1,2,...)
√(λ)=n
λ=n^2

so for λ>0 we have an eigenvalue of λ=n^2 where n=1,2,... and an eigenfunction of f(x)=c2*sin(nx) (plug n^2 into λ)

the last case is λ<0
f''(x)+λf(x)=0
r=±√(λ)
f(x)=c1*e^(√(λ)x)+c2*x*e^(√(λ)x)
f(0)=c1*e^0+c2*0*e^0=c1=0, therefore c1=0
we are left with
f(x)=c2*x*e^(√(λ)x)
f'(x)=c2*x*√(λ)*e^(√(λ)x)+c2*e^(√(λ)x)
f'(π)=c2*π*√(λ)*e^(√(λ)π)+c2*e^(√(λ)π)=0
we can factor it to make it a little more manageable
f'(π)=c2*e^(√(λ)π)*(√(λ)π+1)
once again, we can see that c2 and λ=0, but are trivial
assume that the last term =0
√(λ)π+1=0
√(λ)π=-1
√(λ)=-1/π
λ=1/π^2
(here, can I specify that only the negative root is used and not the positive one?)

so this gives us an eigenvalue of λ=1/π^2 and an eigenfunction of f(x)=c2*x*e^(±x/π)

The answer in the back of the book is
λ=(2n-1)^2 /4
f(x)=sin((2n-1)x/2) n=1,2...

My answer looks nothing like that so what am I misunderstanding?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pi Face said:

Homework Statement

Compute the eigenvalues/functions of the given regular S-L problem

f''(x)+λf(x)=0
0<x<π
f(0)=0
f'(π)=0

2. The attempt at a solution

First off, why is π not included in the given boundary if it tells you f'(x) at π?

Now for my attempt:

assuming λ=0
f''(x)+0*f(x)=0
f''(x)=0
f'(x)=a, and f'(π)=0 so a=0
f(x)=ax+b, but a=0 so f(x)=b, and f(0)=0 so b also =0
therefore
f(x)=ax+b=0+0=0
so this doesn't really help

assuming λ>0
f''(x)+λf(x)=0
r=±√(λ)i
f(x)=c1*cos(√(λ)x)+c2*sin(√(λ)x)
f(0)=0 so plug in 0 ->f(0)=c1*cos(0)+c2*sin(0)c1=c1=0, therefore c1=0
now we are left with
f(x)=c2*sin(√(λ)x)
f'(x)=c2*√(λ)*sin(√(λ)x)

That should be a cosine.

f''(x)+λf(x)=0
r=±√(λ)
f(x)=c1*e^(√(λ)x)+c2*x*e^(√(λ)x)

You don't have a repeated root here. It would be much clearer to state this case as ##\lambda = -\mu^2 < 0## so the equation is ##f''(x) -\mu^2f(x) = 0## so your characteristic equation is ##r^2-\mu^2=0##. This will give you the solution pair ##
\{e^{\mu x}, e^{-\mu x}\}## but it is easier to work with ## \{ \cosh μx, \sinh μx\}##. Try it and you will find no nontrivial solutions.

Last edited:
Wow such careless errors haha, but thanks for finding where I went wrong. I got the answer and everything seems good!

Related to Basic sturm liouville boundary problems

1. What is a Sturm-Liouville boundary problem?

A Sturm-Liouville boundary problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the solutions to a second-order ordinary differential equation subject to certain boundary conditions. These problems are typically used to model physical systems such as heat flow, wave propagation, and quantum mechanics.

2. What makes a Sturm-Liouville problem "basic"?

A basic Sturm-Liouville problem refers to a specific type of boundary value problem where the differential equation has a specific form, known as the Sturm-Liouville form. This form includes a self-adjoint operator, which is an important property that allows for the use of powerful mathematical techniques to solve the problem.

3. What are the boundary conditions in a Sturm-Liouville problem?

The boundary conditions in a Sturm-Liouville problem are the conditions that must be satisfied at the boundaries of the domain in which the problem is being solved. These conditions can be of different types, such as Dirichlet, Neumann, or Robin boundary conditions, and they are essential in determining the solutions to the problem.

4. How are Sturm-Liouville problems used in science?

Sturm-Liouville problems are used in science to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. The solutions to these problems provide important insights into the behavior of these systems and can be used to make predictions and guide further research.

5. What are some applications of Sturm-Liouville problems?

Sturm-Liouville problems have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some common examples include modeling heat flow in materials, analyzing the behavior of vibrating strings and membranes, and finding the energy levels of quantum mechanical systems. These problems also have applications in other fields, such as finance, biology, and chemistry.

Back