Basic Thermodynamics; Change in U at Constant Pressure

In summary, the ΔU° for the given reaction at 25°C and constant pressure is -1298.3kJ due to an error in dimensional analysis. The correct calculation results in -61.3kJ, which is the change in internal energy when work is done on the system.
Silvius

Homework Statement

What is the ΔU° at 25°C for the following reaction at constant pressure:

C[itex]_{2}[/itex]H[itex]_{2}[/itex] (g) + 5/2O[itex]_{2}[/itex] (g) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2CO[itex]_{2}[/itex] (g) + H[itex]_{2}[/itex]O (g) ΔH° = -1299.5kJ

Homework Equations

ΔU = Q ± W
PV = nRT
W = PΔV

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we have constant pressure, ΔH° = Q, and since we are at standard conditions P = 1atm = 101.3kPa. Additionally T = 298K (which is given anyway). I try and find the work done on the system by finding the reduction in volume;

ΔV = ΔnRT/P

ΔV = (0.5 x 8.31 x 298)/101.3 = 12.2L

W[itex]_{on system}[/itex] = 101.3kPa * 12.2L = 1238.2kJ

ΔU = -1299.5kJ + 1238.2kJ = -61.3kJ

However, the answer is -1298.3kJ.

Interestingly, this answer is what I would get if I had accidently calculated the W[itex]_{on system}[/itex] was in joules and forgotten to convert - but I don't see how this can be the case - I'm dealing with kPa not Pa as my unit for pressure. Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Silvius said:

Homework Statement

What is the ΔU° at 25°C for the following reaction at constant pressure:

C[itex]_{2}[/itex]H[itex]_{2}[/itex] (g) + 5/2O[itex]_{2}[/itex] (g) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2CO[itex]_{2}[/itex] (g) + H[itex]_{2}[/itex]O (g) ΔH° = -1299.5kJ

Homework Equations

ΔU = Q ± W
PV = nRT
W = PΔV

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we have constant pressure, ΔH° = Q, and since we are at standard conditions P = 1atm = 101.3kPa. Additionally T = 298K (which is given anyway). I try and find the work done on the system by finding the reduction in volume;

ΔV = ΔnRT/P

ΔV = (0.5 x 8.31 x 298)/101.3 = 12.2L

W[itex]_{on system}[/itex] = 101.3kPa * 12.2L = 1238.2kJ

ΔU = -1299.5kJ + 1238.2kJ = -61.3kJ

However, the answer is -1298.3kJ.

Interestingly, this answer is what I would get if I had accidently calculated the W[itex]_{on system}[/itex] was in joules and forgotten to convert - but I don't see how this can be the case - I'm dealing with kPa not Pa as my unit for pressure. Any help would be much appreciated!

That is because ##E_{\mbox{int}}=Q+W## applies when work is done on the system.

dimension10 said:
That is because ##E_{\mbox{int}}=Q+W## applies when work is done on the system.

Work is being done on the system in this case; the pressure and temperature is constant, and so a decrease in the amount of gas results in a decrease of volume of the system. That is, the surrounding constant pressure is doing work in compressing the system.

Either way, I have found my error - it was simply an error in dimensional analysis! 1kPa * 1L = 1J, not kJ! Whoops!

Related to Basic Thermodynamics; Change in U at Constant Pressure

1. What is the definition of "change in U at constant pressure" in basic thermodynamics?

In basic thermodynamics, "change in U at constant pressure" refers to the change in internal energy of a system when the pressure remains constant. This can occur through changes in temperature, volume, or the addition/removal of heat.

2. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to the concept of "change in U at constant pressure"?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In the case of "change in U at constant pressure", the first law is applicable as it relates to the transfer or conversion of energy (in the form of heat) that causes a change in internal energy while the pressure remains constant.

3. What is the formula for calculating "change in U at constant pressure"?

The formula for calculating "change in U at constant pressure" is ∆U = q + w, where q represents the heat added or removed from the system, and w represents the work done on or by the system. In the case of constant pressure, w is equal to P∆V, where P is the pressure and ∆V is the change in volume.

4. How does the change in temperature affect "change in U at constant pressure"?

The change in temperature directly affects the change in internal energy at constant pressure. When the temperature increases, the internal energy also increases, and when the temperature decreases, the internal energy decreases. However, the change in temperature alone does not determine the change in internal energy; other factors such as pressure and volume must also be considered.

5. What are some real-life examples of "change in U at constant pressure"?

Some real-life examples of "change in U at constant pressure" include boiling water on a stovetop (where the pressure remains constant while the heat is added to increase the temperature and cause a change in internal energy), a gas expanding in a cylinder with a movable piston (where the pressure remains constant while the volume changes and causes a change in internal energy), and a pressure cooker (where the pressure is kept constant while the temperature increases, causing a change in internal energy).