Basic Topology- when doesn't the reflexive relation hold?

In summary, the relation is reflexive if and only if there is a 1-1 correspondence between A and A. Additionally, it is symmetric, transitive, and equivalent to the relation
Roni1985

Homework Statement

When doesn't the reflexive relation hold?
In order for aRb to be true, aRa must hold and the other two conditions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am new to topology and am not really taking a course in topology. To me it looks like a is always equivalent to a. when is it not true?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Roni1985! :smile:

Can you provide some more details to the question? What is R? What does this have to do with topology?

By the way, I can easily find a relation that is not reflexive, just define R to be the relation such that two elements are never in relationship to each other. Thus, the relation such that aRb is not true for all a and b.

micromass said:
Hi Roni1985! :smile:

Can you provide some more details to the question? What is R? What does this have to do with topology?

By the way, I can easily find a relation that is not reflexive, just define R to be the relation such that two elements are never in relationship to each other. Thus, the relation such that aRb is not true for all a and b.

Hi,
I am sorry,
I meant A~A and I am reading a mathematical analysis book and this topic appears under the Basic Topology chapter.

Thanks.

Roni1985 said:
Hi,
I am sorry,
I meant A~A

What is R? What is ~? What is A?

Alternatively, what is the book you're reading and which problem are you doing? Maybe I can find the book...

micromass said:
What is R? What is ~? What is A?

Alternatively, what is the book you're reading and which problem are you doing? Maybe I can find the book...

lol, I am sorry, I never took topology and the notations are kind of foreign to me.

Okay, forget 'R'.
'~' = equivalent
A is a set and B is a set.

I am given a definition, "if there exists a 1-1 mapping of A onto B, A~B".

Now, when this is true, the following properties must be satisfied:

It is reflexive: A~A
It is symmetric: if A~ B, then B~A
It is transitive: if A~B and B~C, then A~C

I don't really understand the first property.
And the book is "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Rudin page 25.

Thanks.

Well, A~A just means here that there is a 1-1-mapping from A to A. For example,

[tex]A\rightarrow A:x\rightarrow x[/tex]

is such a mapping.

It is not for every relation true that aRa, but it is true for this relation!

micromass said:
Well, A~A just means here that there is a 1-1-mapping from A to A. For example,

[tex]A\rightarrow A:x\rightarrow x[/tex]

is such a mapping.

It is not for every relation true that aRa, but it is true for this relation!

When can it not be true? if I understand it correctly, there is always a 1-1 mapping from A to A.

Thanks.

Well, for the relation

[tex]A\sim B~\Leftrightarrow~\text{there is a 1-1 correspondence from A to B}[/tex]

this is always true. But for other relations ~, this might not be always true.

For example, if I would define the silly relation

[tex]A\sim B~\Leftrightarrow~\text{there is no 1-1 correspondence from A to B}[/tex]

then A~A is not true.

micromass said:
Well, for the relation

[tex]A\sim B~\Leftrightarrow~\text{there is a 1-1 correspondence from A to B}[/tex]

this is always true. But for other relations ~, this might not be always true.

For example, if I would define the silly relation

[tex]A\sim B~\Leftrightarrow~\text{there is no 1-1 correspondence from A to B}[/tex]

then A~A is not true.

Oh, I see it now.
Thanks very much for the explanation.

Related to Basic Topology- when doesn't the reflexive relation hold?

1. What is a reflexive relation in topology?

A reflexive relation in topology is a relation between elements in a set where every element is related to itself. In other words, for all x in the set, the relation holds that x is related to x. This is also known as the "identity property" of a relation.

2. When does the reflexive relation not hold in basic topology?

The reflexive relation may not hold in basic topology if the set contains elements that are not related to themselves. This can occur in cases where the relation is not defined for certain elements, or if the relation is intentionally restricted to only certain elements.

3. What is an example of a topology where the reflexive relation does not hold?

An example of a topology where the reflexive relation does not hold is the discrete topology. In this topology, every element is its own open set, so the relation of "being contained in" is not reflexive for all elements.

4. How does the reflexive relation impact the properties of a topology?

The reflexive relation is an important property of a topology as it helps to define the concept of "self-containedness" or "self-referentiality" within a set. When the reflexive relation does not hold, it can impact the properties of the topology, such as connectedness and compactness.

5. Is it possible for a topology to have a reflexive relation that holds for some elements but not others?

Yes, it is possible for a topology to have a reflexive relation that holds for some elements but not others. This can occur in cases where the topology is not defined for all elements in the set, or if certain elements are intentionally excluded from the relation.

Back