Basic Z-Transform Transfer Function

In summary, the conversation is about finding the transfer function for a digital filter described by a difference equation, and the questioner is unsure of how to do so due to the presence of a constant term. The respondent explains that the transfer function is the output per input, and compares it to an R-C divider with an initial charge on the capacitor.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

Hi,
I'm asked to find the transfer function for the following digital filter described by a difference equation

864d47d952.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Usually if there's no constant term (0.7) here, I can just rearrange in the form of Y(z)/X(z) to give me H(z). But I can't do that here. So what now?

Attachments

• 864d47d952.png
    864d47d952.png
    44 KB · Views: 1,272
Physics news on Phys.org
CoolDude420 said:

Homework Statement

Hi,
I'm asked to find the transfer function for the following digital filter described by a difference equation

View attachment 225722

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Usually if there's no constant term (0.7) here, I can just rearrange in the form of Y(z)/X(z) to give me H(z). But I can't do that here. So what now?
You can do that.
The definition of a transfer function is output per input.
This is like an R-C divider with an initial charge on the C. The transfer function is the same irrespective of that charge.

Related to Basic Z-Transform Transfer Function

1. What is a basic Z-Transform transfer function?

A basic Z-Transform transfer function is a mathematical representation of a discrete-time system in the Z-domain. It is used to analyze and design digital filters and other discrete-time systems.

2. How is a basic Z-Transform transfer function different from a Laplace transform?

A basic Z-Transform transfer function is used for analyzing discrete-time systems, while a Laplace transform is used for continuous-time systems. The Z-Transform maps a discrete-time signal into a complex frequency domain, while the Laplace transform maps a continuous-time signal into a complex frequency domain.

3. What is the significance of the Z-domain in a basic Z-Transform transfer function?

The Z-domain is a mathematical domain used for analyzing discrete-time systems. It allows us to represent a discrete-time signal in a complex frequency domain, making it easier to analyze and design digital filters and other discrete-time systems.

4. How is a basic Z-Transform transfer function used in practice?

A basic Z-Transform transfer function is used in practice to analyze and design digital filters and other discrete-time systems. It allows us to understand the behavior of a system in the Z-domain, and make adjustments to achieve desired performance.

5. What are some key properties of a basic Z-Transform transfer function?

Some key properties of a basic Z-Transform transfer function include linearity, time-shifting, scaling, and convolution. These properties make it a powerful tool for analyzing and designing discrete-time systems.