Bead on wire tilted at angle theta.

In summary: You will see that \ddot{z} would become negative and the bead would begin to move in the opposite direction of the displacement. This indicates that the equilibrium position is not stable and will eventually move away from the position equilibrium.
AbigailM

Homework Statement

Consider a bead of mass m constrained to slide without friction along a rigid wire that rotates about the vertical at a fixed angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with constant angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex]. Write down the Lagrangian in terms of z as the general coordinate. Find the equation of motion of the bead, and determine whether there are positions of equilibrium. If there are equilibrium positions, are they stable?

Homework Equations

[itex]z=rcos\theta[/itex]

[itex]U=mgz[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\dot{r}=\frac{\dot{z}}{cos\theta}[/itex]

[itex]T=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^{2}+r^{2}\dot{\theta}^{2})[/itex]

[itex]L=\frac{2}{3}m(\frac{\dot{z}^{2}}{cos^{2}\theta}+(z\omega)^{2}/(cos^{2}\theta}))-mgz[/itex]

[itex]m\ddot{z}=2z\omega^{2}-mgcos^{2}\theta[/itex]

[itex]\ddot{z}=\frac{2z\omega^{2}}{m}-gcos^{2}\theta[/itex]

Just wondering if my equation of motion is correct. Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that [itex]\theta[/itex] is a fixed angle. So, [itex]\dot{θ}[/itex] = 0.

You will need a kinetic energy term that takes into account the azimuthal motion ("swinging around motion") around the axis of rotation at the angular speed ω. So, see if you can construct a kinetic energy term involving ω, z, and [itex]\theta[/itex]. Of course, you will still have the kinetic energy term [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[itex]\dot{r}[/itex]2.

Note that the distance of the particle from the axis of rotation is rsinθ = ztanθ.

TSny,

Using your advice I get:
[itex]L=\frac{1}{2}m(\frac{\dot{z}^{2}}{cos^{2}\theta}+(z^{2}\omega^{2})/(cos^{2}\theta))-mgz[/itex]

[itex]\ddot{z}=\frac{2z\omega^{2}}{m}-gcos^{2}\theta[/itex]

Does this look ok?

Thanks.

The kinetic energy associated with the rotation about the z axis would be (1/2)m(ωd)2 where d is the radius of the circular motion about the z-axis. If the bead is a distance r out along the wire, then check that d = r sinθ. d can then be expressed in terms of z by using r = z/cosθ.

So, verify that the second term of the Lagrangian would have a tan2θ in place of the 1/cos2θ.

You should find that the mass m cancels out in the equation of motion for [itex]\ddot{z}[/itex]. Also, you have a factor of 2 in the first term on the right hand side of the equation for [itex]\ddot{z}[/itex] that should not be there.

Awesome that made it perfectly clear and I got the correct answer. Thanks so much for the help!

Also to find any equilibrium positions I looked at what would make [itex]\ddot{z}=0[/itex].
I got only 1 equilibrium position of [itex]z=\frac{g}{tan^{2}\theta\omega^{2}}[/itex].
I also concluded that this is stable since [itex]\omega[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] are constant.

Your equilibrium value for z looks correct to me.

However, I believe it's an unstable equilibrium. One way to see this is to go back to your result for [itex]\ddot{z}[/itex].

[itex]\ddot{z}[/itex] = sin2θ ω2 z - g cos2θ

Imagine placing the bead on the rod at the equilibrium position where [itex]\ddot{z}[/itex] = 0. Then displace the bead a little bit farther out on the rod. This will make z greater than the equilibrium value of z and an inspection of the expression for [itex]\ddot{z}[/itex] shows that [itex]\ddot{z}[/itex] will become positive. So, if you let the bead go from this position, which way would it begin to move?

Similarly, analyze what would happen if you displaced the bead a small amount in the opposite direction from the equilibrium position.

Last edited:

Related to Bead on wire tilted at angle theta.

1. What is the purpose of a bead on wire tilted at an angle theta?

The purpose of a bead on wire tilted at an angle theta is to study the effects of gravity and surface tension on the behavior of the bead. This setup is commonly used in experiments to demonstrate the principle of capillary action.

2. How is the angle theta determined in this setup?

The angle theta is determined by the angle at which the wire is tilted. It can be adjusted by changing the position of the wire or using a protractor to measure the angle accurately.

3. What factors affect the movement of the bead on the wire?

The movement of the bead on the wire is affected by the surface tension of the liquid, the angle theta, the diameter of the wire, and the weight of the bead. Other factors that can influence its movement include the type of liquid used and the temperature.

4. How does the bead's movement change as the angle theta is increased?

As the angle theta is increased, the weight of the bead becomes more significant, and it will start to slide down the wire due to the force of gravity. The bead's movement will slow down as the angle theta approaches 90 degrees, and it may eventually stop moving altogether.

5. What are the real-world applications of studying a bead on wire tilted at an angle theta?

Studying a bead on wire tilted at an angle theta has various applications in different fields. In physics, it can help understand the principles of surface tension and capillary action. In engineering, it can be used to design systems that rely on capillary action, such as inkjet printers. It also has applications in biology, where it can be used to study the behavior of small organisms moving on surfaces.