Bead sliding on a rotating rod

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bead at rest on a thin rod that is pivoted at one end and starts rotating with a uniform angular velocity. The conversation explores the curve that the bead traces from the point of view of an inertial observer, with the solution being a logarithmic spiral. The conversation also includes a discussion of the differential equation and solution used to arrive at this conclusion.
shankarrg
Bead is at rest on a thin rod pivoted at one end. Bead is about a cm from the pivoted end of the rod. Rod now starts rotating with an uniform angular velocity w rad/sec.

1.What curve does the bead trace from the point of view of an inertial observer?

Here what i think... solution of the differential equation m*d^2(r)/dt^2= mrw^2

In the radial direction

r=Ae^(-wt)+Be^(-wt) , where A and B can be found out by the initial conditions. A=a/2, B=a/2

and in angular direction, theta =w*t

I think the curve would be cycloid. How to infer cycloid from the above equation

Regards
shankar

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem?

Chet

No i was reading non inertial frames chapter in introduction to mechanics david kleppner there is an worked out example about finding the above equation i understood that but i started wondering about the curve it makes

Please show us how you arrived at your differential equation, and how you solved it. The solution as you've written it doesn't look correct (with the same exponent in both terms).

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Please show us how you arrived at your differential equation, and how you solved it. The solution as you've written it doesn't look correct (with the same exponent in both terms).

Chet

One of the exponents is supposed to be positive.

HomogenousCow said:
One of the exponents is supposed to be positive.
Yes. Otherwise, the solution looks OK (assuming that the radius has been scaled to the initial radius). We are talking about hyperbolic cosine here.

chet

Oh sorry was unaware that i made a typo . Yes i meant one exponent is positive and radius is scaled

Thanks for your reply chet

FAQ: Bead sliding on a rotating rod

1. How does the speed of rotation affect the bead's movement on the rod?

The speed of rotation determines the centrifugal force acting on the bead, which in turn affects the bead's position and velocity along the rod. As the speed of rotation increases, the centrifugal force also increases, causing the bead to move further away from the center of rotation and at a faster speed.

2. What factors influence the friction between the bead and the rod?

The friction between the bead and the rod is influenced by the material and surface properties of both the bead and the rod, as well as the presence of any lubricants or contaminants. The angle of the rod's rotation and the speed of rotation can also affect the frictional force.

3. How does the size and weight of the bead impact its movement on the rod?

The size and weight of the bead affect its inertia, which determines how easily it can be moved by the centrifugal force and the frictional force. Generally, a larger and heavier bead will require more force to move along the rod compared to a smaller and lighter bead.

4. Is the motion of the bead on the rod affected by the rod's surface texture?

Yes, the surface texture of the rod can affect the friction between the bead and the rod, which in turn affects the bead's movement. A rougher surface can provide more friction and therefore slow down the bead's movement, while a smoother surface can reduce friction and allow the bead to slide more easily.

5. Can the direction of rotation of the rod affect the bead's movement?

Yes, the direction of rotation of the rod can affect the bead's movement. When the rod rotates clockwise, the bead will experience a centrifugal force pushing it away from the center of rotation, while when the rod rotates counterclockwise, the centrifugal force will pull the bead towards the center of rotation. This can result in different patterns of movement for the bead on the rod.