BEC condenstate thermal statistics vs. coherence

In summary: This is because it would be overwhelmed by the number of particles in the system. In order to calculate the density operator, one would need to use a cutoff point, say after a certain number of particles.
sam_bell
Hi. I'm reading an introductory section on the Bose-Einstein condensation of a non-interacting, spinless boson gas. I'm confused by the claim that the ground state is in a coherent state with eigenvalue sqrt(N0) exp(i theta), where N0 is the expected number of particles in the ground state. The justification is that the commutator [a0/sqrt(V), a0*/sqrt(V)] = 1/V goes to zero in the thermodynamic limit V = volume goes to infinity (a0 annihilation operator for ground state). Therefore a0 acts like a complex number and so the ground state must be in a coherent state. Huh? Who asked you to divide by V anyway? Totally opaque. And doesn't statistical mechanics say the system is in an ensemble of definite particle eigenstates with probability exp(-beta*mu*N)/Z (i.e. NOT a coherent superposition of definite particle states)?? Does someone understand this better?

Physics news on Phys.org
The expectation value of a_0^*a_0 is N, so in the thermodynamic limit you have to divide by V so as to obtain something finite, i.e. N/V.
The vanishing of the commutator (and of the commutators with all other well defined operators) means that by Schur's theorem a/\sqrt{V} is represented as a pure number iff the representation of the operator algebra is irreducible. However, no one forces you to use an irreducible representation. You can also work with a state of the BEC with the number of particles being sharp. However, calculations become somewhat more involved. Nevertheless, this is the correct description for finite systems.
And finally, no, statistical mechanics does not tell you that particle number has to be sharp as N is an operator in that expression you write down and not a number.

OK, you've given me quite a bit to chew on there. I might have a follow-up later, but thanks for the head-start.

I understand that exp(beta*mu*N)/Z could be viewed as an operator and therefore that <N> = Tr[ N exp(beta*mu*N)/Z ] could be calculated in any basis (say coherent states). But this doesn't tell you about the distribution of particle number. In the grand canonical ensemble the density operator rho = Sum[ exp(beta*mu*n)/Z |n><n|, n=0..+inf ], i.e. diagonal only in the basis of definite particle states. If as claimed the ground state is actually in a coherent state with eigenvalue alpha, then shouldn't we have rho = |alpha><alpha| (i.e. in a pure state)? In an experiment I imagine it would be difficult to measure anything but <N>. Is this a case of trying to apply statistical mechanics to rigidly? Or am I interpreting wrong?

Last edited:
sam_bell said:
I understand that exp(beta*mu*N)/Z could be viewed as an operator and therefore that <N> = Tr[ N exp(beta*mu*N)/Z ] could be calculated in any basis (say coherent states). But this doesn't tell you about the distribution of particle number. In the grand canonical ensemble the density operator rho = Sum[ exp(beta*mu*n)/Z |n><n|, n=0..+inf ], i.e. diagonal only in the basis of definite particle states. If as claimed the ground state is actually in a coherent state with eigenvalue alpha, then shouldn't we have rho = |alpha><alpha| (i.e. in a pure state)? In an experiment I imagine it would be difficult to measure anything but <N>. Is this a case of trying to apply statistical mechanics to rigidly? Or am I interpreting wrong?

One of the problems here is that the density operator generally does not exist in the thermodynamical limit of infinite sample size.

Related to BEC condenstate thermal statistics vs. coherence

1. What is BEC (Bose-Einstein condensate)?

BEC is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures, close to absolute zero. It is a phenomenon observed in certain materials, where a large number of particles behave as a single quantum entity, exhibiting wave-like properties.

2. What is the difference between thermal statistics and coherence in BEC?

Thermal statistics refers to the distribution of particles within the BEC, which follows the Bose-Einstein distribution. Coherence, on the other hand, refers to the phase relationship between particles within the BEC, which is maintained due to the wave-like nature of the particles.

3. How does BEC behavior differ from that of a gas?

In a gas, particles move independently and randomly, while in a BEC, particles exhibit collective behavior due to coherence. Additionally, the energy distribution in a BEC follows the Bose-Einstein distribution, while in a gas it follows the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution.

4. What are the applications of BEC in science and technology?

BEC has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, precision measurements, and creating new states of matter. It has also been used in creating atom lasers and studying superfluidity.

5. How is BEC created in a laboratory setting?

BEC is created by cooling a gas of atoms to extremely low temperatures, typically using laser cooling techniques. The atoms are then confined in a magnetic trap and further cooled using evaporative cooling, until they reach the critical temperature for BEC formation.