Beginner: understanding an answer

In summary, the vectors that are perpendicular to <1,1,1> and <1,2,3> form a line. However, the solution manual states that they form a point. This is because all vectors perpendicular to the given two vectors are parallel to the cross product, which is not in the same plane as the two given vectors. The set of all vectors perpendicular to <1,1,1> and <1,2,3> forms a line and a point respectively.
kostoglotov
Doing MIT OCW 18.06 using Gilbert Strang Intro to Linear Algebra.

Ch 1.2

The vectors that are perpendicular to <1,1,1> and <1,2,3> lie on a ___________.

I would have said "plane".

I've worked with vectors in calculus, and if you take the cross product of those two vectors you get a vector perpendicular to both, and you could, visualizing it, move that vector around on the surface of the plane defined by <1,1,1> and <1,2,3>...

But the answer given in the solution manual is "line"...

How are all the vectors perpendicular to <1,1,1> and <1,2,3> lying on a line?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Moving a vector around on a plane" does NOT give you a different vector! All vectors perpendicular to the given two vectors are parallel to the cross product. I'm not sure I like the wording of the problem itself! Just as moving vectors around does not give a new vector, so a vector alone does not determine a line.

Likes kostoglotov
kostoglotov said:
I've worked with vectors in calculus, and if you take the cross product of those two vectors you get a vector perpendicular to both,
Right.

kostoglotov said:
and you could, visualizing it, move that vector around on the surface of the plane defined by <1,1,1> and <1,2,3>...
I don't know what you mean exactly, but if you view the vectors as arrows drawn from <0,0,0>, then the tip of the arrow you get from the cross product isn't in that plane. In fact, no vector in that plane is perpendicular to both <1,1,1> and <1,2,3>.

kostoglotov said:
How are all the vectors perpendicular to <1,1,1> and <1,2,3> lying on a line?

What kind of geometric object is the set of all vectors perpendicular to <1,1,1>?

What kind of geometric object is the set of all vectors perpendicular to <1,2,3>?

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
I don't know what you mean exactly, but if you view the vectors as arrows drawn from <0,0,0>, then the tip of the arrow you get from the cross product isn't in that plane. In fact, no vector in that plane is perpendicular to both <1,1,1> and <1,2,3>.

Except the zero vector. /end{pedantry}

Likes kostoglotov

Related to Beginner: understanding an answer

1. What is the purpose of understanding an answer as a beginner?

Understanding an answer as a beginner allows you to gain a foundational understanding of a topic or concept. This understanding can then be built upon to deepen your knowledge and skills in that subject area.

2. How do I know if I have understood an answer correctly as a beginner?

One way to know if you have understood an answer correctly as a beginner is to summarize the main points or key takeaways in your own words. This not only shows that you have understood the information, but also helps solidify your understanding.

3. What should I do if I don't understand an answer as a beginner?

If you don't understand an answer as a beginner, don't be afraid to ask for clarification or to seek additional resources for further explanation. It's important to actively seek understanding rather than passively accepting information.

4. How can I improve my understanding of answers as a beginner?

To improve your understanding of answers as a beginner, it's important to practice active listening and reading. This means actively engaging with the information, asking questions, and seeking out additional resources to supplement your learning.

5. Is it important to understand an answer in its entirety as a beginner?

While it's important to strive for a complete understanding of an answer, it's also important to recognize that as a beginner, it's okay to not understand everything. Focus on grasping the main concepts and building your knowledge from there. Keep asking questions and seeking out resources to deepen your understanding over time.