Beginning a Career, in or out of the field

In summary, the person is a recent graduate with a bachelors degree in physics and is struggling to find a job in their field. They are open to other fields such as data analysis or mathematics, but would like some suggestions for potential career paths. Some advice given is to pursue a graduate education in a technical field and Teach for America is mentioned as a potential option for physics BS graduates. Other suggestions include going back to school for a more advanced degree to increase job marketability and the individual sharing their personal experience of not being able to find a job in two years and currently working in a restaurant while taking engineering classes.
Jake4
Hello all,

So I graduated last May with a bachelors degree in physics. Since then I've been looking like crazy for a job.

Right now I'm in a situation where I would love to do something involving physics, but would also be completely fine with doing Data analysis, or any other field that has anything to do with mathematics.

What I'm looking for are some ideas. I've already applied to everything from Entry level engineering positions, to financial data analysis positions. I would love some ideas of directions I can go.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can afford it, get a graduate education (masters or beyond) in whatever technical field you want to work in. With just a BS in Physics and no serious helping hand/contacts in an industry, you aren't going anywhere I'm afraid. I've been in a similar predicament since May and I have yet to find any kind of employment, much less of the technical kind.

Many graduates with a BS in physics have hard time finding work relevant to their studies. The only job that a physics BS really prepares you for is to be a physics graduate student. One place that actually does actively try to recruit physics BS graduates is Teach for America. That ended up being the most "popular" choice of my graduating class that didn't get a PhD.

Otherwise, like Lavabug, I suggest going back to school. A physics BS is not a good degree for getting a career, but it can be a good degree for starting a more advanced college program. If you don't want to do a PhD physics program there are other terminal masters and bachelor programs you can do that will greatly increase your career marketability.

Personally, I have been looking for full time work for over two years now and never even got a call back on any of my applications. In the mean time I am working at a restaurant and taking some engineering classes in anticipation of getting a BS in electrical engineering.

Related to Beginning a Career, in or out of the field

1. How do I know which career path is right for me?

Choosing a career path can be a daunting task, but the first step is to reflect on your interests, skills, and values. Consider what you are passionate about and what you excel at. It can also be helpful to shadow professionals in different fields or speak to a career counselor for guidance.

2. What qualifications do I need to become a scientist?

The specific qualifications needed to become a scientist vary depending on the field and job requirements. Generally, a strong foundation in math and science, along with a Bachelor's degree in a related field, is necessary. Advanced degrees, such as a Master's or PhD, may be required for more specialized positions.

3. How do I gain experience in the field of science?

There are many ways to gain experience in the field of science, including internships, research opportunities, and volunteer work. Look for opportunities at universities, research institutions, or companies in your area. You can also reach out to professionals in your desired field to ask about potential opportunities or mentorship.

4. What skills are important for a successful career in science?

In addition to technical skills and knowledge in your specific field, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are essential for a successful career in science. It is also important to be detail-oriented, organized, and able to work independently and in a team.

5. How do I stay current in my field and continue learning?

The field of science is constantly evolving, so it is important to stay current and continue learning throughout your career. This can be done through attending conferences, workshops, and seminars, reading scientific journals and publications, and networking with other professionals in your field. It is also beneficial to seek out new challenges and opportunities to expand your skills and knowledge.