Beginning physics, in finding the electric field for a uniform line charg

In summary, the conversation discusses a uniform line charge with a linear charge density of 4.4 nC/m on the x-axis between x = 0 to x = 5.0 m. The total charge is 22nC and the electric field is calculated using the equations E=kQ/[x^2] and Q=lambda*length. However, it is determined that E=kQ/[x^2] can only be used for point masses and calculus is needed to solve the problem accurately.
krtica
Q:
A uniform line charge that has a linear charge density λ = 4.4 nC/m is on the x-axis between x = 0 to x = 5.0 m.
(a) What is its total charge?

(b) Find the electric field on the x-axis at x = 6 m.

(c) Find the electric field on the x-axis at x = 11.0 m.

(d) Find the electric field on the x-axis at x = 240 m.

To solve for a, I used the equation Q=lambda*length. My answer is 22nC, which is correct.

To solve for the remaining portion of the question, I used E=kQ/[x^2], where I took x to be (L+a-x). L is defined as the length of the rod (5m), a is the difference between the given position and the rod (for b, 1m), and x is the distance from the origin to the midpoint of the rod (2.5m).

Physics news on Phys.org

krtica said:
To solve for the remaining portion of the question, I used E=kQ/[x^2], where I took x to be (L+a-x). L is defined as the length of the rod (5m), a is the difference between the given position and the rod (for b, 1m), and x is the distance from the origin to the midpoint of the rod (2.5m).

The fact that you didn't get the right answer proves that E=kQ/[x^2] can only be used for point masses, not for extended objects. (The sphere is an exception, but that's a special case.) To solve this problem, you have to use calculus. What's the charge contributed by a length "dx" of rod a distance "x" from the given position?

FAQ: Beginning physics, in finding the electric field for a uniform line charg

1. How do you calculate the electric field for a uniform line charge?

The electric field for a uniform line charge can be calculated using the formula E = λ / (2πεr), where λ is the linear charge density, ε is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the charge.

2. What is a uniform line charge?

A uniform line charge is a theoretical model used in physics to represent a line of charge with a constant charge density along its length. This simplifies calculations and allows for easier analysis of electric fields.

3. How does the electric field change with distance from a uniform line charge?

The electric field for a uniform line charge decreases with distance from the charge. It follows an inverse relationship, meaning that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

4. What are the units for the electric field?

The SI unit for electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). However, it can also be expressed in volts per meter (V/m).

5. How does the direction of the electric field depend on the direction of the line charge?

The direction of the electric field is perpendicular to the direction of the line charge. This means that if the line charge is positively charged, the electric field points away from the charge, and if the line charge is negatively charged, the electric field points towards the charge.

Back