Bellman Equation, Dynamic Programming, state vs control

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dynamic programming, a field in mathematics that is used as both a mathematical optimization method and a computer programming method. It is named as such because it involves finding optimal decisions in a time-varying and multi-stage process. The conversation also touches on the history of the term and its origins in the 1950s. The use of state variables and control variables in dynamic programming is also mentioned, with an example given using the number of names in a list as both a state and control variable. However, this example may not fully illustrate the use of these variables in the field of optimization.
onthetopo
Hi, I am proficient in standard dynamic programming techniques.
In the standard textbook reference, the state variable and the control variable are separate entities.
However, I have seen examples in economics, in which a single variable, let's say consumption, is both a state variable and a control variable simultaneously.

This is very strange. Can the same variable be a control variable and state variable simultaneously? Is it allowed in bellman equation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you asking if say a state variable like the number of names in a list can be used as a control variable then the answer is yes.

Python:
if nameCount>0:
   print "the name list has "+nameCount+" names."
else:
  print "The name list is empty."
end

This style of programming is very common and is more succinct than say having a state flag:

Python:
isNameListEmpty = true

if nameCount>0:
  isNameListEmpty=false
end

if isNameListEmpty==false:
else:
end

I'm sorry this is not pertaining to my question at all. I am not asking a computer programming question. Dynamic programming is a field in mathematics.

jedishrfu said:
Are you asking if say a state variable like the number of names in a list can be used as a control variable then the answer is yes.

Python:
if nameCount>0:
else:
end

This style of programming is very common and is more succinct than say having a state flag:

Python:
isNameListEmpty = true

if nameCount>0:
  isNameListEmpty=false
end

if isNameListEmpty==false:
else:
end

Here's a reference from Wikipedia on Dynamic Programming for other posters interested in the topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_programming

This discipline is used in several areas of study including computer science. Some background history for the name:

History
The term dynamic programming was originally used in the 1940s by Richard Bellman to describe the process of solving problems where one needs to find the best decisions one after another. By 1953, he refined this to the modern meaning, referring specifically to nesting smaller decision problems inside larger decisions,[16] and the field was thereafter recognized by the IEEE as a systems analysis and engineering topic. Bellman's contribution is remembered in the name of the Bellman equation, a central result of dynamic programming which restates an optimization problem in recursive form.

Bellman explains the reasoning behind the term dynamic programming in his autobiography, Eye of the Hurricane: An Autobiography (1984). He explains:

"I spent the Fall quarter (of 1950) at RAND. My first task was to find a name for multistage decision processes. An interesting question is, Where did the name, dynamic programming, come from? The 1950s were not good years for mathematical research. We had a very interesting gentleman in Washington named Wilson. He was Secretary of Defense, and he actually had a pathological fear and hatred of the word research. I’m not using the term lightly; I’m using it precisely. His face would suffuse, he would turn red, and he would get violent if people used the term research in his presence. You can imagine how he felt, then, about the term mathematical. The RAND Corporation was employed by the Air Force, and the Air Force had Wilson as its boss, essentially. Hence, I felt I had to do something to shield Wilson and the Air Force from the fact that I was really doing mathematics inside the RAND Corporation. What title, what name, could I choose? In the first place I was interested in planning, in decision making, in thinking. But planning, is not a good word for various reasons. I decided therefore to use the word “programming”. I wanted to get across the idea that this was dynamic, this was multistage, this was time-varying. I thought, let's kill two birds with one stone. Let's take a word that has an absolutely precise meaning, namely dynamic, in the classical physical sense. It also has a very interesting property as an adjective, and that it's impossible to use the word dynamic in a pejorative sense. Try thinking of some combination that will possibly give it a pejorative meaning. It's impossible. Thus, I thought dynamic programming was a good name. It was something not even a Congressman could object to. So I used it as an umbrella for my activities."
The word dynamic was chosen by Bellman to capture the time-varying aspect of the problems, and because it sounded impressive.[11] The wordprogramming referred to the use of the method to find an optimal program, in the sense of a military schedule for training or logistics. This usage is the same as that in the phrases linear programming and mathematical programming, a synonym for mathematical optimization.[17]

- excerpted from the Wikipedia article above.

The example I gave shows a state variable # of names in a list being used as a control variable directing the algorithm to print one of two messages. Sometimes you see the second construct come up when new programmers are trying to implement an algorithm that they don't totally understand. In my example, the isNameListEmpty boolean is unnecessary since its equivalent to checking the condition nameCount==0 and if implemented incorrectly in a multi-threaded environment could result in the isNameListEmpty not matching the nameCount==0 condition.

Here's more on the Bellman-Ford algorithm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellman–Ford_algorithm

Last edited:
onthetopo said:
Dynamic programming is a field in mathematics.

According to the Wikipedia page: "Dynamic programming is both a mathematical optimization method and a computer programming method." So it's both. But it's clear now that you are asking about the mathematical optimization method.

onthetopo said:
In the standard textbook reference

Which textbook?

onthetopo said:
I have seen examples in economics, in which a single variable, let's say consumption, is both a state variable and a control variable simultaneously.

Can you give a specific reference?

Likes jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
The example I gave shows a state variable # of names in a list being used as a control variable directing the algorithm to print one of two messages.

I'm not sure this simple example really illustrates the use of "state variables" and "control variables" in the field of optimization methods. Unfortunately the online info I've been able to find does not give explicit definitions of those terms. Hopefully the OP will give us more specific references. I'm assuming that the Bellman Equation he's referring to is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellman_equation

FAQ: Bellman Equation, Dynamic Programming, state vs control

1. What is the Bellman Equation?

The Bellman Equation is a mathematical equation used in dynamic programming to calculate the optimal value of a decision problem by breaking it down into smaller subproblems. It takes into account the current state, the possible actions or controls, and the expected future reward to determine the best possible decision.

2. How is the Bellman Equation used in Dynamic Programming?

The Bellman Equation is used in dynamic programming to solve complex problems by breaking them down into smaller subproblems. It helps to find the optimal solution by considering the current state, the possible actions or controls, and the expected future reward at each step.

3. What is the difference between state and control in Dynamic Programming?

In Dynamic Programming, the state refers to the current situation or condition of a system, while the control refers to the actions or decisions that can be taken to manipulate the state. The Bellman Equation takes into account both the state and control to find the optimal solution to a problem.

4. Can the Bellman Equation be used in real-world applications?

Yes, the Bellman Equation and Dynamic Programming are widely used in various real-world applications such as finance, economics, and engineering. It is particularly useful in solving optimization problems that involve making sequential decisions over time.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Bellman Equation in Dynamic Programming?

One limitation of the Bellman Equation is that it assumes that the future rewards are known with certainty. This may not always be the case in real-world applications where there may be uncertainty or randomness involved. Additionally, the Bellman Equation can be computationally expensive for large and complex problems.