Bend Angle After Bending a Bar Around a Pin

In summary, the person is trying to solve for the bend angle of a bar given specific dimensions and information about the bar. They are given the diameter of the pin, the diameter of the bar, and the out-to-out dimensions of the leg that traverses the pin. They are also given the height to the top corner of the bar and the length to the outside corner of the bar. From what they have, it looks like it may be possible to solve for the angle but they are still guessing points.
CaylusCrusade
I think this is the right place to put this. If not I apologize. Feel free to move.

I am trying to solve the bend angle for a bar given specific dimensions. The bend angle is acute as in the bar traverses the pin for more than 90-degrees. The bend angle is the angle of the projected lines from the 2 tangents of the pin.

I'm given the diameter of the pin, and the diameter of the bar. I am also given the out-to-out dimensions of the leg that traverses the pin.

Because the bar has thickness calculating this angle does not give us the bend angle. We are calculating the height to the top corner of the bar and the length to the outside corner of the bar.

From what I have how do I get the bend angle? The accompanying link has a picture. I'm trying to find Angle E given the green line, yellow pin and bar diameter.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/697/acuteanglebend.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm not sure if I can solve with the information given but think I should be able to.

I thought maybe I could solve using some sort of combination of slope-intercept and circle equation but I think I don't have enough information.

I know how have 2 lines with the same slope. I know the y-coordinate of the given hypotenuse matches the y-coordinate of the top outside bar and the x-coordinate of the given hypotenuse matches the x-coordinate of the lower inside bar.

I know I could solve it if the end point of the hypotenuse match either corner (point) of the bar. I know there are plenty of right angles to be made but none that share a side with one I already know.

This may be a bit confusing and I apologize. If you need more clarification please let me know. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can it be done with approximation? Take a guess at the angle then work back from there? It looks like maybe but then you are guessing a point and another point before you get it. Just a thought.

Related to Bend Angle After Bending a Bar Around a Pin

1. What is the purpose of bending a bar around a pin?

The purpose of bending a bar around a pin is to create a curved shape in the bar. This can be used for various applications such as creating a handle or adding structural support to a structure.

2. How is the bend angle determined after bending a bar around a pin?

The bend angle is determined by measuring the angle between the two straight sections of the bar before and after bending. This angle can be calculated using trigonometry or measured using a protractor.

3. What factors can affect the bend angle in a bar after bending around a pin?

Several factors can affect the bend angle, including the material of the bar, the diameter of the pin, the force applied during bending, and the length of the straight sections of the bar.

4. How can the bend angle be adjusted after bending a bar around a pin?

The bend angle can be adjusted by either increasing or decreasing the force applied during bending. Additionally, using a different diameter pin can also affect the bend angle.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when bending a bar around a pin?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when bending a bar around a pin. It is also important to ensure the bar is secure and stable during the bending process to avoid any accidents or injuries.

Back