Bending moment Diagram for fixed-fixed beam

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a beam and forces on both ends. The suggested solution is to break the problem into two separate problems, one with only forces and one with only moments, and then combine the results using superposition. This method is preferred over using the method of sections, which did not yield the correct diagram.
axe34

Homework Statement

There is a beam, say length L, with a force F UP on the left built-in support and a CLOCKWISE moment. The right side has a force, F, DOWN and a COUNTERCLOCKWISE moment

i.e F up, cw moment -------------------------------------------------------------F down, ccw moment

I am required to draw a bending moment diagram for this. The only way I've ever been shown is the method of cuts/sections which I hope you are familiar with this. If I work from the right hand end, the equation I get is different from working from the left hand end.
[/B]

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

As stated above, I'm not sure if the method of sections works here although I was never made aware that it had occasions where it was useless. How can I get a BM diagram here?Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try breaking this problem up into two separate problems: the first one with only forces, and the second one with only moments.

For the first problem, what would the shear force diagram look like? What would the BM diagram look like?

For the second problem, what would the BM diagram look like?

Combine the two BM diagrams et voila.

SteamKing said:
Try breaking this problem up into two separate problems: the first one with only forces, and the second one with only moments.

For the first problem, what would the shear force diagram look like? What would the BM diagram look like?

For the second problem, what would the BM diagram look like?

Combine the two BM diagrams et voila.
Hi - thanks for that. I understand this. Just one Question; how did you know to do this c.f. other methods e.g. section method? W.r.t the sectioning method - If I work from right to left (call right 0, and left L) then I get the correct diagram. Working from left to right gives me the wrong answer!

I can't comment on what you did without seeing your work.

What I recommended was just splitting one problem into two (simpler) ones, and then using superposition to combine the results.

You have studied superposition, haven't you?

Related to Bending moment Diagram for fixed-fixed beam

What is a bending moment diagram for a fixed-fixed beam?

A bending moment diagram for a fixed-fixed beam is a graphical representation of the variation in bending moment along the length of a beam that is fixed at both ends. It shows the magnitude and direction of the bending moments at different points on the beam, which helps to determine the maximum bending moment and the points of zero bending moment.

What is the purpose of a bending moment diagram for a fixed-fixed beam?

The purpose of a bending moment diagram for a fixed-fixed beam is to visualize the distribution of bending moments along the beam. This is useful in determining the maximum bending moment, which is important for designing the beam to ensure that it can support the applied loads without failing.

How is a bending moment diagram for a fixed-fixed beam calculated?

A bending moment diagram for a fixed-fixed beam is calculated using the equations of static equilibrium. The bending moment at any point on the beam is equal to the sum of the moments of all the forces acting on one side of the point. This calculation is repeated for multiple points along the length of the beam to plot the bending moment diagram.

What factors affect the shape of a bending moment diagram for a fixed-fixed beam?

The shape of a bending moment diagram for a fixed-fixed beam is affected by the magnitude and distribution of the applied loads, as well as the length and properties of the beam, such as its material and cross-sectional shape. Additionally, the supports at the ends of the beam also influence the shape of the bending moment diagram.

What can be determined from a bending moment diagram for a fixed-fixed beam?

A bending moment diagram for a fixed-fixed beam can determine the maximum bending moment, the points of zero bending moment, and the location of the points of maximum bending stress. It can also assist in identifying potential weak points in the beam and determining the required size and shape of the beam for a given set of loads.