BEng Electrical and Electronic Eng, is Msc Physics good idea

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's background in electrical and electronic engineering, their consideration of pursuing an MSc in Physics, and their current job in engineering consultancy. They express interest in teaching and science journalism, but are unsure of the path to take. The conversation also mentions the possibility of pursuing a career in engineering through structured training and career development courses. The speaker seeks advice on potential paths for a career in engineering.
Hanadiode
Hello, this is my first post there though I have been on this site before to look for answers to questions.

I am a graduate in Electrical and Electronic Engineer, graduated in 2013 and live in London. I currently work for a engineering consultancy working on telecoms systems work (adding/upgrading CCTV, speaker systems, data networks, etc).

I considered doing an MSc in Physics but I'm not sure of how much that would benefit me or would be unbeneficial. I thought about doing it because it has modules I am interested in and I would want to go down the nanotechnology route. If anyone can tell me more about what I can do with it, it would be helpful. If you want to read below, I've written about my current situation:

I don't think I can be here much longer as I have considered other careers to move on to. I tried applying to a masters in Wireless and Optical transmission (didn't get in), applied to other jobs. I successfully got into one interview but coinsidently it was on the same day as an (expensive) external training day.

I did want to go into research work but I've been put off since I've been told it won't let me earn the amount of money I will need when one day I have a family to support.

I'm not fond of working in an office and sitting down all day (which is what I am currently doing). I keep getting told I can "move up" from my current role. But move to up what? Be a manager? I really don't want to do that.

A couple of things that do interest me are: teaching. I like to teach but I'm not sure if I want to take the teacher training route just yet. I also am interesting in writing articles about research(science journalism I guess). I read the E&T magazine and would like to write about some of the things I read about. Talk to people, find out what's new, what's being invented, that sort of thing. But I believe you need a masters for that kind of role.

I'm really just trying to figure out what I want to really do. If anyone can tell me anything helpful, I would be very grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are still trying to figure out what you want to do, then an MS in Physics may be a reasonable path, especially if you are considering teaching.

There are better paths if you want a career as an engineer.

What about getting on a structured training and career development course with a large company . That's what I did many years ago . You get an opportunity to sample many different tasks and get sent on academic courses .

If you and your tutor think doing an MSc is appropriate then you would probably get full sponsorship .

Dr. Courtney said:
If you are still trying to figure out what you want to do, then an MS in Physics may be a reasonable path, especially if you are considering teaching.

There are better paths if you want a career as an engineer.

Thank you Dr. Courtney, could you please elaborate on the "better paths" for a career in engineering part. Thanks

ABET acccredited engineering programs.

FAQ: BEng Electrical and Electronic Eng, is Msc Physics good idea

1. What is the difference between a BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and an MSc in Physics?

A BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering focuses on the practical application of engineering principles to design and develop electrical and electronic systems. An MSc in Physics, on the other hand, delves deeper into the theoretical and fundamental aspects of physics, including topics such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.

2. Can I pursue a career in both Electrical Engineering and Physics with these degrees?

Yes, both a BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and an MSc in Physics can lead to a wide range of career opportunities. Electrical engineering graduates may work in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and renewable energy, while physics graduates may pursue careers in research, teaching, or even in the finance and technology sectors.

3. What skills and knowledge can I expect to gain from a BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering?

A BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and electronics, as well as practical skills in circuit design, programming, and project management. You will also develop problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills, which are highly valued in the engineering field.

4. Is an MSc in Physics a good idea if I have a background in engineering?

Yes, an MSc in Physics can be a great opportunity for engineers to expand their knowledge and skills in a specific area of physics, such as optics or materials science. This can open up new career opportunities and also enhance your understanding of the fundamental principles behind engineering concepts.

5. Is it possible to combine a BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering with an MSc in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue both degrees simultaneously, although it may require careful planning and time management. Some universities also offer joint programs that allow students to earn both degrees in a shorter amount of time. Alternatively, you can pursue an MSc in Physics after completing your BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering to further specialize in a particular area of interest.