Bernoulli principle - negative pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating pressure using the principle of Bernoulli. The equations used seem to be correct, but the code may have a mistake. It is suggested to include units in the equations to better understand the problem. It is also mentioned that the negative outlet pressure may be due to a low inlet pressure.
maleo7
I will write a program about principle bernoulli, but i have a problem.

My input data:

Pressure(p1) = 1000
Cross-section(A1) = 1
Velocity(V1) = 1

Cross-section(A2) = 0.5

Velocity(v2)= (V1A1)/A2

to simplify: h1=h2

i'm counting the pressure p2 : p2 = p1 + 0.5*v1*v1 - 0.5*v2*v2 , so i getting negative pressure..

1zo7vxc.jpg

This is a problem (negative pressure)

I'm trying to add atmospheric pressure, but it doesn't solve my problem.

Is a mathematical formula is good? Is there any other relationship?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some units would be helpful in deciphering your problem.

maleo7 said:
i'm counting the pressure p2 : p2 = p1 + 0.5*v1*v1 - 0.5*v2*v2 , so i getting negative pressure..

Your equations look OK. You correctly calculated V2 = 2, so you must have made a mistake in the code.

My calculator says 1000 + 0.5*1*1 - 0.5*2*2 = 998.5 whcih isn't negative.

AlephZero said:
Your equations look OK. You correctly calculated V2 = 2, so you must have made a mistake in the code.

My calculator says 1000 + 0.5*1*1 - 0.5*2*2 = 998.5 whcih isn't negative.

My mistake. I forgot write the density of liquid.

Should : p2 = p1 + 0.5*v1*v1*ro - 0.5*v2*v2*ro

ro=density=1000,

so:
p2 = 1000 + 0.5*1*1*1000 - 0.5*2*2*1000 = -500 .

SteamKing said:
Some units would be helpful in deciphering your problem.

I replace Paskal to kPa, but it didn't help

Your "negative outlet pressure" just means the inlet pressure is too low to force the given mass flow through the nozzle.

AlephZero said:
Your "negative outlet pressure" just means the inlet pressure is too low to force the given mass flow through the nozzle.

Yep, although if the given pressures are gauge rather than absolute, it would work just fine (so long as you weren't trying to exhaust the flow with a negative gauge pressure to the atmosphere).

Related to Bernoulli principle - negative pressure

What is the Bernoulli principle?

The Bernoulli principle is a physical law that states that as the speed of a fluid (such as air or water) increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is based on the conservation of energy and is commonly observed in fluid dynamics.

How does the Bernoulli principle relate to negative pressure?

The Bernoulli principle can lead to the creation of negative pressure in certain situations. This occurs when the fluid velocity increases to a point where the pressure drops below atmospheric pressure. This negative pressure can have various effects, such as causing objects to be pulled towards the source of the low pressure.

What are some real-world applications of the Bernoulli principle?

The Bernoulli principle has many practical applications, including in aviation, where it explains how airplanes generate lift. It is also used in the design of carburetors, where it helps mix air and fuel for combustion in an engine. Additionally, the principle is relevant in weather patterns, as it explains the formation of high and low-pressure systems.

Can the Bernoulli principle be applied to all fluids?

Yes, the Bernoulli principle can be applied to all fluids, including gases and liquids. However, it is important to note that the principle is only valid for incompressible fluids (those with constant density) and when certain assumptions are met, such as steady flow and negligible friction.

How does the Bernoulli principle impact the design of aircraft wings?

The Bernoulli principle plays a crucial role in the design of aircraft wings. The curved shape of an airplane wing causes air to travel faster over the top of the wing, resulting in lower pressure and creating lift. This lift force allows the airplane to take off and stay in the air.