Best and most recent book for ICF?

• Thread starter Kidphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: Because the facility really looks very futuristic.In summary, the National Ignition Facility (NIF) has failed to achieve ignition, which is a setback for the Department of Defense's investment in the facility.
Kidphysics
Hopefully it is the same book but I'm looking for an up to date detailed book concerning all aspects of Inertial Confinement Fusion. You may also post any good PDFs if you have them! I know there are these IFSA books but I'm not sure the most recent which seems to be quite important because of the advancing field.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kidphysics said:
Hopefully it is the same book but I'm looking for an up to date detailed book concerning all aspects of Inertial Confinement Fusion. You may also post any good PDFs if you have them! I know there are these IFSA books but I'm not sure the most recent which seems to be quite important because of the advancing field.
I think that nothing newer than this book: http://books.google.ge/books?id=-x5RAAAAMAAJ&source=gbs_similarbooks published in 1998
Though, even this book published in 1982, James J. Duderstadt, Gregory A. Moses, Inertial Confinement Fusion: http://books.google.ge/books/about/Inertial_confinement_fusion.html?id=RHNTAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y gives good idea what inertial confinement is.
I have a Russian translation of this book and can say you that this book is still actual for everyone interested in this branch of fusion. No new approach since that time.
Exept the news that NIF (laser fusion) program failured, as well as people refused electron and light ions (lithium) driven fusion and only heavy ions (cesium) driven fusion still is in consideration.
The book is quite informative about principles of hohlraum design, etc.

Likes 1 person
NIF failed? Damn...

Drakkith said:
NIF failed? Damn...
National Ignition Facility (NIF) could not achieve expected ignition. http://www.physicstoday.org/daily_edition/politics_and_policy/nif_to_shift_emphasis_after_the_facility_s_failure_to_achieve_ignition
On 30 September the National Ignition Facility's (NIF's) two-year-long National Ignition Campaign (NIC) officially came to an end. Despite multiple attempts on the part of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory scientists to create miniature laser-driven thermonuclear explosions, they failed to achieve ignition, the point at which the fusion energy yield exceeds the energy required to start the reaction. In addition, Donald Cook, the National Nuclear Security Administration's (NNSA's) deputy administrator for defense programs, admits that NIF also failed to attain an intermediate milestone where alpha particles created in the fusion process start to contribute significant amounts of heat to the plasma.
What does this mean? Success?

There are some speculations that NIF is not a fusion program totally being funding also by Department of Defense. May be Department of Defense has truly funded in NIF. But we can not ignore the fact that by its nature NIF is a laser driven fusion machine with no ignition achieved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joseph Chikva said:
National Ignition Facility (NIF) could not achieve expected ignition. What does this mean? Success?

There are some speculations that NIF is not a fusion program totally being funding also by Department of Defense. May be Department of Defense has truly funded in NIF. But we can not ignore the fact that by its nature NIF is a laser driven fusion machine with no ignition achieved.

I'd call that a failure if its goal was to achieve ignition.

Drakkith said:
I'd call that a failure if its goal was to achieve ignition.
I hope that your English is much better than mine:
Despite multiple attempts on the part of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory scientists to create miniature laser-driven thermonuclear explosions, they failed to achieve ignition,...

Yeah, looks like a failure to me. Well, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Related to Best and most recent book for ICF?

1. What is the ICF?

The ICF stands for the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health. It is a framework developed by the World Health Organization (WHO) to provide a universal language and standard for describing health and health-related states.

2. What is the purpose of the ICF?

The ICF is used to classify and describe the impact of health conditions on an individual's daily life and functioning. It can be used in healthcare settings to assess and plan interventions, as well as in research to measure outcomes and compare data across populations.

3. What is the best book for understanding the ICF?

One of the most highly recommended books for understanding the ICF is "The ICF: An Overview" by Alarcos Cieza et al. This book provides a comprehensive and easy-to-understand overview of the ICF, including its history, structure, and applications.

4. What is the most recent book about the ICF?

The most recent book about the ICF is "Understanding the ICF: A Practical Guide" by Alarcos Cieza and Gerold Stucki. This book was published in 2020 and offers a practical approach to using the ICF in healthcare and research settings. It also includes updates to the ICF since its initial publication in 2001.

5. Are there any free resources available for learning about the ICF?

Yes, there are many free resources available for learning about the ICF. The WHO website provides a variety of materials, including the full text of the ICF, training modules, and case studies. There are also online courses and webinars offered by various organizations that can provide a deeper understanding of the ICF.