Best books for learning Plasma Physics?

In summary, the speaker is asking for recommendations on books to teach themselves plasma physics since their school does not offer a course on the subject. They have already asked their professors, who do nuclear research, but they were unable to provide any recommendations. They also mention having taken several upper division courses such as graduate Electrodynamics, Applied Partial Differential Equations, Chaos Theory/Nonlinear Dynamics, and Quantum Theory, and are wondering if there are any other courses that can help them understand plasma physics better. They end by thanking the person in advance and mentioning the topic of the conversation, "Intro to Plasma Physics".
Quantum_Gorilla
Hi there,

So I have two questions really.

My first question is, I'm having a bit of trouble finding which books I should get to teach myself plasma physics. My school doesn't offer a course on the subject, sadly, so I asked my professors, who do nuclear research, and they didn't know which books to recommend either. Any recommendations?

My second question is what sort of courses can prep me to better understand Plasma Physics, I've taken several upper division courses, like graduate Electrodynamics, Applied Partial Differential Equations, Chaos Theory/Nonlinear Dynamics, and Quantum Theory. Is there any other courses that might help me along the way?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Francis Chen "Intro to Plasma Physics".

This should have been posted in the Textbook forum.

Zz.

Related to Best books for learning Plasma Physics?

What is plasma physics?

Plasma physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of plasma, which is a state of matter consisting of ionized gas with equal numbers of positive and negative particles.

Why is it important to learn about plasma physics?

Plasma physics is essential for understanding many phenomena in nature, such as the behavior of stars and other celestial bodies, as well as technological applications such as fusion energy and plasma-based electronics.

What are the best books for learning plasma physics?

Some popular books for learning plasma physics include "Plasma Physics and Fusion Energy" by Jeffrey P. Freidberg, "Introduction to Plasma Physics" by Francis F. Chen, and "Plasma Physics for Astrophysics" by Russell M. Kulsrud.

Do I need a background in physics to understand plasma physics?

While some prior knowledge of physics is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in physics to learn about plasma physics. Many introductory books on the subject are designed for students with little to no prior knowledge.

Are there any online resources for learning plasma physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning plasma physics, such as video lectures, online courses, and interactive simulations. Some reputable sources include MIT OpenCourseWare, Coursera, and Plasma Physics Online.