Best Career Path After Physics BS: Job Security & Pay

• Thread starter Demroz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the conversation discusses the best career path and job prospects for someone with a BS in physics. It mentions the possibility of pursuing a PhD and going into academia, as well as the option of going to grad school for another field or finding a job with just a physics degree. The importance of researching job opportunities and considering personal interests is emphasized.
Demroz
If I were to decide that I did not want to go through with a PhD in physics and go into academia, what would be the best career path job security/pay wise. Hypothetically I graduate with a BS in physics with research experience, would it be better to go to grad school for some other field (say ee or compsci), or would I be able to get a decent job with just a physics degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you live? Do you have the terminal degree-type of BSc or the preparing for grad school/PhD type?

Look at the companies you may be working for.

Last edited:
Most people find it pretty challenging to get a job they actually want to do with only a BS in physics. Do a search for numerous threads on the topic.

The list of potential careers that include your going back to school is very long, and you'd need to give us a better idea of what you might want to do before we can dig into it.

Related to Best Career Path After Physics BS: Job Security & Pay

1. What types of jobs can I get with a Physics BS degree?

With a Physics BS degree, you can pursue a variety of career paths, including research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and consulting. Some specific job titles may include physicist, engineer, data analyst, teacher, consultant, and research assistant.

2. What is the job outlook for careers related to Physics?

The job outlook for careers related to Physics is positive, with a projected growth of 7% from 2019 to 2029 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is slightly faster than the average for all occupations, indicating good job security in this field.

3. How much can I expect to earn with a Physics BS degree?

The salary for careers related to Physics can vary greatly depending on your specific job title, experience, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,850 in May 2020. However, salaries can range from around $60,000 to over $200,000 per year.

4. What skills are important for success in a Physics-related career?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and critical thinking are all important skills for success in a Physics-related career. Additionally, strong computer skills, including proficiency in programming languages and data analysis software, can be beneficial.

5. Is it necessary to pursue a graduate degree after obtaining a Physics BS degree?

While it is not necessary to pursue a graduate degree after obtaining a Physics BS degree, it can open up more career opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries. Many research and teaching positions may require a graduate degree, and pursuing a higher degree can also lead to specialized knowledge and skills in a specific area of Physics.