Best double major for Electrical Engineering? CS or Physics?

In summary, when considering a double major to complement end goals of working in an Astronomy-related field, it depends on the specific job at NASA. An Electrical Engineering major may benefit from a double major in Physics for roles in RF engineering or chip design, while a double major in Computer Science may be useful for computer engineering or control systems.
DominoK
I'm hoping to work in an Astronomy-related field. My dream would be NASA, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm currently working on my Electrical Engineering BS.

What would the best double major be to compliment my end goals, Computer Science or Physics?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just speaking from what I know here (which is remarkably little), but I presume it depends on what kind of job you'd like to have at NASA. Electrical engineers work in a wide variety of situations at NASA. For example, a physics double major would probably be more useful to an EE interested in RF engineering or chip design, whereas a computer science major may be useful to someone in computer engineering or (I presume) control systems.

FAQ: Best double major for Electrical Engineering? CS or Physics?

1. What are the benefits of double majoring in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science?

Double majoring in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science can provide a well-rounded education that combines technical skills in both fields. This can open up opportunities for career advancement and a wider range of job options in industries such as telecommunications, software development, and electronics.

2. Is it possible to complete a double major in Electrical Engineering and Physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in Electrical Engineering and Physics. These two fields have overlapping concepts and principles, making it easier to fulfill the requirements for both majors. However, it may require careful planning and time management to successfully complete both majors.

3. Which major is more suitable for those interested in pursuing a career in research?

Both Computer Science and Physics can lead to careers in research. However, if you are interested in research specifically related to technology and computing, a double major in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science may be more suitable. On the other hand, if you are interested in research related to physical phenomena and natural laws, a double major in Electrical Engineering and Physics may be a better choice.

4. Can I choose to specialize in a specific area within the double major?

Yes, it is possible to specialize in a specific area within a double major. For example, within Electrical Engineering, you can focus on power systems, telecommunications, or electronics. Within Computer Science, you can specialize in areas such as artificial intelligence, data science, or software engineering. Similarly, within Physics, you can specialize in fields like astrophysics, quantum mechanics, or condensed matter physics.

5. Is a double major in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science or Physics more challenging?

The level of challenge for a double major in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science or Physics can vary depending on individual strengths and interests. Both majors require a strong foundation in math and analytical skills. However, a double major in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science may require more programming and technical skills, while a double major in Electrical Engineering and Physics may require a stronger understanding of theoretical concepts. Ultimately, the level of challenge will depend on the individual's dedication and effort put into their studies.