Best language to accompany physics major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of which language would be more beneficial for a physics major to learn for potential career prospects abroad. The options considered are German and Japanese, with some suggesting that mathematics may be the most useful language for a physics major. Other factors such as cultural preferences and availability of academic resources are also mentioned. Ultimately, it is suggested that German may be the most suitable language for both academic and employment purposes, as it is used in multiple countries and has a significant presence in the field of physics.
seasponges
For my physics major I'm required to take a broadening unit each semester. I've decided I'll learn a language, I'm thinking either German or Japanese (although I would welcome other suggestions). I would be just as happy to learn either language, so I thought I'd pose the question as to which one might lead to better career prospects should I find myself looking for work overseas at the end of my study.

Thankyou!

Physics news on Phys.org
Japanese is pretty easy to learn because it follows mostly consistent rules. I can see it being more useful, since more German speakers understand English than do Japanese speakers (in my experience).

In terms of the question, "best language to accompany physics major?", I am tempted to answer:

mathematics.

Would it not also depend greatly on the culture you would like to live in? I could see myself working in any western European country, and consequently I am focusing my foreign language efforts on French and/or German. On the other hand, I cannot see myself living in Japan. The culture is too rigid and ... alien to the one I am familiar with for me to adapt properly. You should consider whether you have similar concerns before attempting to learn a language for the purposes of potentially living elsewhere.

Academically, German would be the most suitable.
There are plenty of awesome books (physics and mathematics) that are published only in German.
Employment wise, this should be helpful as well.
The language is also used in Austria and parts of Switzerland (e.g. Zurich).

Related to Best language to accompany physics major?

What is the best language to learn for a physics major?

The best language to learn for a physics major is often considered to be Python. It is a versatile and powerful language that is widely used in scientific research and data analysis. It also has a large and active community that provides support and resources for scientific applications.

Do I need to learn programming if I am majoring in physics?

While it is not a requirement, learning programming can greatly benefit a physics major. It allows for more efficient and accurate data analysis, as well as the ability to create simulations and models to aid in understanding complex concepts. It also opens up opportunities for research and employment in fields such as data science and computational physics.

Is it better to learn a general-purpose language or a language specific to physics?

It ultimately depends on your goals and interests. Learning a general-purpose language like Python or C++ can be valuable as it can be applied to a variety of fields and industries. However, learning a language specifically designed for physics, such as Fortran or MATLAB, may be more beneficial for certain research projects or career paths.

Do I have to be good at math to learn programming for physics?

Having a strong foundation in math is helpful for learning programming in general, but it is not a requirement for learning programming for physics. Many programming languages have built-in functions and libraries that can handle complex mathematical calculations, making it easier for those with less mathematical background to still learn and apply programming in a physics context.

Where can I find resources to learn programming for physics?

There are many online resources available for learning programming for physics, including tutorials, courses, and forums. Some universities also offer courses specifically focused on programming for physics majors. Additionally, reaching out to professors, peers, and professionals in the field can provide valuable guidance and resources.