Best math software for writing math?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best software for writing equations and math language quickly and easily. The recommended program is LaTeX, which uses markup to format documents and is designed for mathematical and scientific typesetting. It is suggested to learn from resources such as Wikibooks, and the possibility of finding a book with chapters and a glossary specifically for mathematical equations is mentioned.
christian0710
What's the best and easiest software when it comes to write equations. If I have to write a lot of math language It would be nice to have a program where I can write rapidly.

I tried the math editor in Word (office), but every time I need a multiplication symbol I have to find it in the pallet, takes for ever :P

Physics news on Phys.org
LaTeX.

It's a "What You See Is What You Mean" paradigm typesetting program, where you use markup to format your document and then compile it. It's designed for mathematical and scientific typesetting.

The math on PF uses LaTeX markup; an example from my .sig is:
Code:
[color=#008000][b]\frac[/b][/color][color=#008000]{[/color][color=#008000][b]\mathrm[/b][/color][color=#008000]{[/color]d[color=#008000]}}{[/color][color=#008000][b]\mathrm[/b][/color][color=#008000]{[/color]d[color=#008000]}[/color]t[color=#008000]}[/color][color=#008000][b]\![/b][/color][color=#008000][b]\![/b][/color] [color=#008000][b]\left[/b][/color] ([color=#008000][b]\![/b][/color][color=#008000][b]\![/b][/color] [color=#008000][b]\frac[/b][/color] [color=#008000]{[/color][color=#008000][b]\partial[/b][/color] [color=#008000][b]\mathcal[/b][/color] L[color=#008000]}{[/color][color=#008000][b]\partial[/b][/color] [color=#008000][b]\dot[/b][/color][color=#008000]{[/color]q[color=#008000]}_[/color]j[color=#008000]}[/color] [color=#008000][b]\![/b][/color][color=#008000][b]\![/b][/color][color=#008000][b]\right[/b][/color]) - [color=#008000][b]\frac[/b][/color] [color=#008000]{[/color][color=#008000][b]\partial[/b][/color] [color=#008000][b]\mathcal[/b][/color] L[color=#008000]}{[/color][color=#008000][b]\partial[/b][/color] q[color=#008000]_[/color]j[color=#008000]}[/color] = Q[color=#008000]_{[/color][color=#008000][b]\rm[/b][/color] nc[color=#008000]}[/color], [color=#008000][b]\quad[/b][/color] [color=#008000][b]\text[/b][/color][color=#008000]{[/color]for [color=#008000]}[/color] j = 1, 2, [color=#008000][b]\ldots[/b][/color], n
which produces:
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t}\!\! \left (\!\! \frac {\partial \mathcal L}{\partial \dot{q}_j} \!\!\right) - \frac {\partial \mathcal L}{\partial q_j} = Q_{\rm nc}, \quad \text{for } j = 1, 2, \ldots, n[/tex]

Thank you! I'll begin learning to use LaTex :D

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll start reading :)
Do you know of any good LaTeX math books with all the unnecessary mathematical language arranged in chapters or tables, so I can easily find it when needing to write fx integrals etc? I'm thinking of a book with chapters and a glossary in the back of the book so I can easily find y page for x formula.

Related to Best math software for writing math?

1) What are the key features to look for in the best math software for writing math?

The key features to look for in the best math software for writing math are a user-friendly interface, a wide range of mathematical symbols and equations, compatibility with various file formats, the ability to generate graphs and diagrams, and the option to collaborate with others in real-time.

2) Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of coding to use the best math software for writing math?

No, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of coding to use the best math software for writing math. Most math software have a user-friendly interface and use visual tools for creating equations and symbols, making it accessible for users without coding experience.

3) Can I use the best math software for writing math on any device?

Yes, most math software can be used on various devices such as computers, tablets, and smartphones. However, it is important to check the system requirements of the specific software to ensure compatibility.

4) Can the best math software for writing math be used for advanced mathematical calculations?

Yes, the best math software for writing math can be used for advanced calculations, such as calculus, statistics, and linear algebra. These software often have advanced features and functions specifically designed for complex mathematical equations.

5) Is there a free version of the best math software for writing math available?

Yes, there are free versions of the best math software for writing math available, such as GeoGebra and Desmos. These software may have limited features compared to their paid counterparts, but they can still be useful for basic mathematical writing tasks.