Best Point Gamma Source in MCNP simulation?

Salman Khan
TL;DR Summary
Point gamma source in mcnp
When I simulate a point isotropic gamma source in mcnp usually number of particle histories to the tally region (let say a detector placed at 30 cm from point source) is much low (few hundreds only) as compared to actually particle histories (1.0E7), Will it be correct if convert isotropic point source to a cone source so that I can increase number of particle histories towards tally region?.
Thanks every one in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is 1/r^2 for radiation, and you will get a flux of around 885 per square cm per 1e7 source particles. (Think surface of a sphere).

A cone shaped beam can work, a parallel beam could also work, set a VEC and DIR=1. The Compton scattering would still be modeled well but it might be worth checking if the background from the rest of the flux affects your result. Can you change what you are modeling to be more efficient or are you replicating a real experiment that has already been done?

Alex A said:
This is 1/r^2 for radiation, and you will get a flux of around 885 per square cm per 1e7 source particles. (Think surface of a sphere).

A cone shaped beam can work, a parallel beam could also work, set a VEC and DIR=1. The Compton scattering would still be modeled well but it might be worth checking if the background from the rest of the flux affects your result. Can you change what you are modeling to be more efficient or are you replicating a real experiment that has already been done?
I just want to model my problem more efficiently by entering more possible particles to the tally region to reduce statistical error. As we know mcnp gives answer per particle that is why I want to enter more particle to the region of interest so that I can get more accurate result. M I right ?.if not please suggest thanks