Best preparation for grad school?

In summary, a student who plans to pursue graduate work in physics typically obtains a physics degree as an undergraduate. In Canada, the degrees for physics and mathematical physics are the same, but with some differences in course requirements. However, these differences do not significantly impact one's chances of being accepted into a graduate program in physics. It may be beneficial to pursue a double degree in physics and mathematics for a stronger background in both subjects.
Eelbot
I am going into physics next year, and I am incredibly excited! I love astronomy, and I love math and physics, and i do very well in both, so astrophysics seems like the perfect fit. However, I wanted to get a broader degree than an undergrad in astrophysics to start off with. My final goal is to go to grad school and do work in physics. So, my question is: What is the best degree for preparing for grad work in physics? Would mathematical physics be okay, or would it be better to get a pure physics degree? Or does it even matter, as long as the degree is related to physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the USA at least, most universities don't have separate bachelor's degrees for "physics" and "mathematical physics", as far as I know. Students who plan to go to grad school in physics, normally go for a physics degree as an undergraduate. If you're in some other part of the world, you might want to say where you are, so people can give you helpful advice (or at least avoid giving you unhelpful advice).

I am living in Canada. The degree is the same for physics and mathematical physics, they both result in a BS, but I am wondering if universities look at pure physics for graduate work differently than mathematical physics.

Eelbot said:
I am living in Canada. The degree is the same for physics and mathematical physics, they both result in a BS, but I am wondering if universities look at pure physics for graduate work differently than mathematical physics.

Not really. Calling the course 'mathematical physics' is probably a bit misleading - I expect the difference between that and a 'pure' physics degree will simply be that you'll take some extra math courses in place of some physics ones.

You should really have the same options for grad school from both courses, though obviously if you end up doing something highly mathematical then having the extra math background might be useful - but it won't be a deal breaker.

If you work hard enough, try get a physics and math double degree.

FAQ: Best preparation for grad school?

1. What is the best major to prepare for grad school?

The best major to prepare for grad school depends on the specific field you want to pursue. However, majors in the sciences, mathematics, and engineering are generally considered strong preparation for grad school.

2. How important are research experiences for grad school?

Research experiences are highly valuable for grad school admissions, especially for fields that require research such as the sciences and social sciences. They demonstrate your ability to think critically, problem-solve, and work independently.

3. Is it necessary to have a high GPA for grad school?

While a high GPA is important, it is not the only factor considered for grad school admissions. Admissions committees also look at research experiences, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. However, a strong GPA can make you a more competitive applicant.

4. What can I do to stand out in my grad school application?

In addition to a strong academic record, standing out in your grad school application can be achieved through research experiences, internships, relevant extracurricular activities, and strong letters of recommendation. A well-written personal statement that showcases your passion and goals can also make you stand out.

5. How early should I start preparing for grad school?

It is never too early to start preparing for grad school. It is recommended to start researching potential programs and their requirements at least a year before you plan to apply. This will give you enough time to prepare for any necessary exams, gain relevant experiences, and complete your application materials.