Best quantum mechanics text for reference in condensed matter theory

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for recommendations on a quantum mechanics textbook for a condensed matter theorist. They mention using Shankar's text for their grad QM class but found it more suited for undergrad level. They also mention other options such as Sakurai and Merzbacher's texts. Another person suggests trying Schiff's text for its mathematical and clear approach. It is mentioned that the specific condensed matter field being studied is quantum transport.
bjnartowt
Hi everyone, I would like to ask if anyone can recommend a quantum mechanics textbook as reference for a condensed matter theorist. I am reading a book that requires material I do not remember seeing in my (voluminous) grad QM text (Shankar). It seems to me all quantum textbooks have their strengths and weaknesses.

My grad QM class used Shankar's text, which I found to be better suited for an undergrad class; it is too "talky" [which, in fact, is why I am looking for a new reference]. I took 1 semester out of Sakurai in my M.S. school, and really liked it. I hear (the late) Merzbacher's text is ok. I am told that Gottfried/Yan is advanced, elegant, and lucid, but emphasizes scattering theory, which is somewhat-irrelevant to condensed matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
I never much liked Merzbacher (I used the 2nd ed.). Try Schiff (3rd ed.). It's a grad level text that's mathematical, to the point, and clear. He is sometimes accused of not motivating results physically, but I don't find agree. He doesn't cover applications but ably covers all the QM basics you'd expect.

Are you looking into any specific condensed matter?

The field of condensed matter I'm in right now is quantum transport, where I am building a transmission function for a thermoelectric junction and considering various interactions.

As a fellow scientist in the field of condensed matter theory, I understand the importance of having a reliable and comprehensive reference text for quantum mechanics. In my experience, the best textbook for this purpose is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.

Griffiths' textbook strikes a good balance between being rigorous and accessible, making it suitable for both undergrad and graduate level students. It covers all the necessary topics in quantum mechanics, including those relevant to condensed matter theory such as band theory and perturbation theory.

Additionally, the book is well-structured, with clear explanations and examples, making it easy to follow and understand. It also includes problems at the end of each chapter, providing ample opportunities for practice and reinforcement of concepts.

I highly recommend this textbook as a reference for any condensed matter theorist. I believe it will be a valuable addition to your library and will serve as a reliable resource for your studies and research.

Related to Best quantum mechanics text for reference in condensed matter theory

1. What is the best quantum mechanics text for reference in condensed matter theory?

The answer to this question can vary depending on personal preferences and the specific area of condensed matter theory being studied. However, some popular choices among scientists include "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel, "Solid State Physics" by Neil W. Ashcroft and N. David Mermin, and "Quantum Theory of Solids" by Charles P. Poole Jr. and Horacio A. Farach.

2. What criteria should I consider when choosing a quantum mechanics text for reference in condensed matter theory?

When selecting a text for reference in condensed matter theory, it is important to consider the level of detail and mathematical rigor, the relevance to your specific research interests, and any supplemental materials or resources provided by the author.

3. Are there any online resources for quantum mechanics and condensed matter theory?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about quantum mechanics and condensed matter theory. Some popular options include online textbooks, video lectures, and interactive simulations.

4. Can I use a quantum mechanics text from a different field as a reference for condensed matter theory?

It is possible to use a quantum mechanics text from a different field as a reference for condensed matter theory, but it is important to ensure that the text covers the relevant topics and is applicable to your specific research area. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or colleague familiar with both fields.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in quantum mechanics to study condensed matter theory?

While a strong understanding of quantum mechanics is beneficial for studying condensed matter theory, it is not always necessary. Some texts may provide a brief review of relevant concepts or assume a basic knowledge of quantum mechanics, but there are also texts specifically geared towards beginners in the field.