Best recognized distance learning options in mathematics?

BamboozledBoi
I am a physics major in the second year and always have loved maths. Now that interest has grown into something bigger and I am thinking of taking some recognized distance courses in mathematics so that I will have something to show in case I decide to do a masters in mathematics.

It will be even better if it is not an entire math ug course but an independent set of topics that we can do at our own leisure. ( ie, I must be able to do a course of interest, say group theory, and get a certificate just in that.)

I am in an Indian uni which doesn't offer minors.(I am aware of NPTEL and just checking if there are better options).

What are the best options that are well recognized worldwide (to give me an edge for masters admission) and also of good quality?

Physics news on Phys.org
UIUC Netmath for the US, Open University for Europe.

BamboozledBoi said:
I am a physics major in the second year and always have loved maths. Now that interest has grown into something bigger and I am thinking of taking some recognized distance courses in mathematics so that I will have something to show in case I decide to do a masters in mathematics.

It will be even better if it is not an entire math ug course but an independent set of topics that we can do at our own leisure. ( ie, I must be able to do a course of interest, say group theory, and get a certificate just in that.)

I am in an Indian uni which doesn't offer minors.(I am aware of NPTEL and just checking if there are better options).

What are the best options that are well recognized worldwide (to give me an edge for masters admission) and also of good quality?
So you want to commit a fraud that works worldwide?

You want to get a certificate, say that you passed a test on basic group theory, and take this as a replacement for an entire undergraduate curriculum so that you can directly start with a major at any place in the world. Did I summarize that correctly?

• Wow
Likes gmax137
What I read from the posters message is that he want's to do "extra" curricular work in addition to his current undergraduate courses, so that he can expand his love of mathematics into related fields; and at the same to hoping that having done so might just give him an edge if and when he applies for graduate school.

TO THE POSTER: You are commended for your desire to work even harder than your program expects of you. That demonstrates the very important qualities of initiative and determination. Those are important attributes that may just help get you a chair in graduate school; but they will certainly give you an edge in life as well; and of course expose you to other topics and learning. By all means, explore all avenues of learning, to the maximum capacity you can. There are free courses offered around the world, these days. There are also excellent opportunities at TOP Schools, given on such platforms as Udemy (the fee is very small and very reasonable amount). Be encouraged! You have the desire so all you have to do is find something that sounds interesting to you-- and explore it. As our beloved Benjamin Franklin once said, "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

Back