Best Software for Drawing Graphics on a Computer for LaTeX Documents?

• Thread starter Ahmes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphics
In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a good software for drawing graphics, specifically in the context of submitting Math and Physics homework using a LaTeX editor. Suggestions were given for software such as xfig, gnuplot, jpicedt, Maple, Jeks Display, and epix. The use of scilab and octave for both graphics and calculations was also mentioned, as well as the option of using PostScript for mathematical graphics. The conversation concluded with a recommendation for Dia as a graphics software and TeXMacs as a wysiwyg LaTeX editor.
Ahmes
(I doubt it's the ideal forum for this question, but I found no better. Mentors, feel free to move it if you think it will get better answers somewhere else)
Hi,
I use a computer to submit Math and Physics homework and work with a LaTeX editor called LyX. The problem is that I don't have a very good method of drawing graphics (ie. schematic things like a function plot or a mechanical system).

Do any of you happen to know a good software for drawing such things and combining them in a LaTeX file?
If possible, work with UNIX and draw graphs as vectors (output as svg, eps, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Google:
xfig
gnuplot
jpicedt
Maple (not free)

Also, check-out this free on-line 3-dimensional plotting utility, the Jeks Display. Also, there is an excellent (in quality of that produced) plotting library for LaTeX, it comes in two flavors, http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=epix&section=projects (a python wrapper for epix) both are operating system independent and free (GNU licensed). Very high quality plots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use scilab and octave on Linux. They are not only graphics plotting software, but calculation software similar to MATLAB. And they can be compiled with Intel compilers for faster speed.

http://www.math.ubc.ca/people/faculty/cass/graphics/text/www/index.html , by Bill Casselman, shows, at several levels of sophistication, how to use PostScript for producing mathematical graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone.
I actually meant software more like xfig, that you can draw with the mouse, and not produce exact plots (for that I mostly use Mathematica).
I think xfig will do, but if you know better, please say.

Check out Dia for graphics (and TeXMacs if you'd like a wysiwyg LateX editor).

Related to Best Software for Drawing Graphics on a Computer for LaTeX Documents?

1. What is the purpose of drawing graphics on a computer?

The purpose of drawing graphics on a computer is to create visual representations of data, ideas, or concepts. These graphics can be used for various purposes such as illustration, animation, or data visualization.

2. What software is commonly used to draw graphics on a computer?

Some common software used for drawing graphics on a computer includes Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and CorelDRAW. These programs offer a wide range of tools and features to create and manipulate graphics.

3. Can I draw graphics on a computer without any prior experience or training?

Yes, many software programs offer user-friendly interfaces and tutorials that make it possible for beginners to learn and create graphics without prior experience or training. However, practice and experimentation are crucial for improving skills and creating more complex graphics.

4. Are there any limitations to drawing graphics on a computer?

While drawing graphics on a computer offers many benefits and possibilities, there are some limitations. These can include hardware and software limitations, as well as the skill level of the user. Additionally, certain graphics may be difficult or impossible to recreate digitally, such as hand-drawn illustrations or paintings.

5. Can I print or share graphics created on a computer?

Yes, graphics created on a computer can easily be printed or shared digitally. Most software programs allow you to export your graphics in various file formats, such as JPEG, PNG, or PDF, which can be easily shared or printed. However, it's important to ensure that the graphics are of high quality and resolution for the intended use.