Best Textbook for Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for good books on quantum mechanics. Some suggestions include The Feynman Lectures in Physics, Landau's Nonrelativistic Quantum Mechanics, Liboff's Quantum Mechanics, Cohen-Tannoudji et al., Townsend's A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics, Shankar's Quantum Mechanics, Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics, and Schiff's Quantum Mechanics. There is also a website available that provides additional resources for learning quantum mechanics. Some people prefer more mathematically rigorous books, while others like books that are more entertaining to read.
I'm going to vote for Griffiths as an undergrad text.

Note, first read the first 3 chapters of the Feynman's lecture for motivation. It doesn't matter if you don't get it all at first glance.

When you read Griffiths, you're going to think

'what, why do we need a hilbert space to do all this crap, what's wrong with x,y,z,t'... 'Who cares about orthornormal basis's for eigenvalues, what does that have to do with physics'.

And so on.

At that point, if you hit a stumbling block (even if you now know how to calculate things via griffiths formalism) conceptually, you can google around and get more answers, b/c now you are prepared to deal with the language people use, and things will start falling into place.

For more advanced treatments, the other books in this thread are good suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Griffiths for undergrad and Sakurai for graduate.

cragwolf said:
I don't know if this would qualify as "best textbook for quantum mechanics" but I really liked David Bohm's book, Quantum Theory. It's dated, doesn't use the bra-ket notation, and eschews the axiomatic approach in favour of the historical apporach, but you will definitely learn a lot from it. Plus it's a cheap Dover book.

I agree. . Also, it is interesting that within a year of publication D. Bohm did an about face and pubished his Implicate Order paper Phys. Rev 85, 165, 180 [1952].

I hadn't had QM yet but I've started to read A Primer of Quantum Mechanics, Dover Books by Marvin Chester. Forgive me, I may have gotten the title wrong.

The author jumps right into Dirac Notation, it seems a little simpler for me to understand. The problems were straightforward and solutions are in the back.

If you liked Feynmans Lectures you might want to check out What is Quantum Mechanics by LRF(Learning Research Foundation).

I have found Griffiths to be rather good.

two ways to quantum field theory.

I am currently thinking tha there are two ways to learn QFT.

1) Aim to calculate high energy scattering theory
2) Aim to calculate the bound state splittings, ie Lamb shift.

The first way could be represented by Peskin-Shroeder. Second
path could be via unpublished Dyson lectures, then Sakurai
or other relativistic quantum mechanics plus perturbation theory.

And, it is me, or it happens that QFT is becoming fast a "lost art"? Phenomenologists do not need a great control over it, so poor manuals with a lor of formulae do the work. And string or any VHEP theorists (Very High Energy) use alternative theories beyond QFT.

Last edited:
Griffiths and shankar are the best.

mhernan said:
I agree. . Also, it is interesting that within a year of publication D. Bohm did an about face and pubished his Implicate Order paper Phys. Rev 85, 165, 180 [1952].
This paper is not about Implicate Order. Implicate Order was written by Bohm much later, as a philosophy book inspired by this scientific 1952 paper.

1st book: Quantum Physics-Scheck or Modern Quantum Mechanics-Sakurai

2nd book(for theoretical physics): Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development-Ballentine

2nd book(for applied physics): Quantum Mechanics-Messiah

3rd book(for theoretical/mathematical physics): Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians-Takhajan or An Introduction to the Mathematical Structure of Quantum Mechanics: A Short Course for Mathematicians -Strocci orLectures on Quantum Theory: Mathematical and Structural Foundations-Isham or Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics-Mackey and Geometric Quantization-Woodhouse

hi.I have been studing physics for 5 years in iran universities. and I have bought lots of Q.M books.
but I suppose the best book belongs to Dr Noureddin zettili for his "Quantum Mechanics. Concepts and Applications" book.
I really couldn't find any problem in the book.It is full of great examples , solved problems , & exercisses.and describes the topics fully.
in one word the book is excellent.