Best VLSI Grad Schools: Find Your Fit for MSEE

In summary, there are several top grad schools for VLSI design, including "super-brand name schools" and lesser-known state schools. Some recommended options include Penn State, U of Maryland, and UTexas. However, it is important to note that many schools may have strong programs in other areas besides VLSI.
Maxwell
What are the best grad schools for VLSI design? What about decent grad schools? I have almost completed my BSEE, and I'm looking to apply for an MSEE. I'm not really interested in going into academia, so I'm not going to be applying to super-brand name schools.

Is there a ranking system for EE grad schools that breaks the ratings into specific sub-fields of EE?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best schools for electrical engineering are, in fact, the "super-brand name schools." On the other hand, you'll also receive an excellent education at many lesser-known state schools.

- Warren

Do you happen to know any with a particularly good VLSI program? I went to take a look at Penn State, but it seems their focus is strong in other areas besides VLSI.

I was thinking U of Maryland or UTexas, perhaps.

Related to Best VLSI Grad Schools: Find Your Fit for MSEE

1. What is VLSI and why is it important in the field of electrical engineering?

VLSI stands for Very Large Scale Integration and it refers to the process of combining multiple electronic components onto a single integrated circuit. This technology is important in electrical engineering because it allows for the creation of complex and powerful electronic devices, such as microprocessors, that are essential in many modern technologies.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a graduate school for VLSI?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a graduate school for VLSI include the program's curriculum and course offerings, the research opportunities and facilities available, the reputation and ranking of the school, and the location and cost of attendance. It is also important to consider the faculty and their areas of expertise, as well as the potential for networking and job placement after graduation.

3. Are there any specific skills or prerequisites that are required for studying VLSI in graduate school?

While each program may have its own specific requirements, some common prerequisites for studying VLSI in graduate school include a strong background in mathematics, computer science, and electrical engineering. Familiarity with programming languages and experience with circuit design and analysis are also beneficial. It is important to check the specific requirements of each program before applying.

4. What are some of the top VLSI graduate schools in the United States?

Some of the top VLSI graduate schools in the United States include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California-Berkeley, Stanford University, University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign, and Carnegie Mellon University. These schools are known for their strong research programs and renowned faculty in the field of VLSI.

5. Can I pursue a career in VLSI without a graduate degree?

While a graduate degree in VLSI can provide a strong foundation and open up more opportunities in the field, it is possible to pursue a career in VLSI without a graduate degree. However, having a graduate degree can give you a competitive edge and may lead to higher positions and salaries in the industry. It is important to gain experience and skills through internships and hands-on projects to enhance job prospects without a graduate degree.