Best way to integrate a moment generating function?

In summary, the conversation discusses integrating the function ∫etxx2e-x using the method of integration by parts. The solution is known to be -1/(t-3)3, but the process of integration is challenging and there is no known shortcut. One method is to use differentiation by the parameter, where In(t) represents integrals with n as the power of x. Another method is to use integration by parts multiple times. Although the final answer obtained by the conversation was incorrect (1/(1-t)3), the mean and variance were still the same as the book's answers (μ = 3, σ2 = 3).
trojansc82

Homework Statement

∫etxx2e-x

Homework Equations

M(t) = etx f(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution is -1/(t-3)3, however I'm having difficulty integrating the function. UV - ∫ V DU is extremely long and challenging, I'm wondering if there is a shortcut (i.e. quotient rule?)

Also, there is a process used here but I'm unable to understand it:

Untitled-1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
trojansc82 said:

Homework Statement

∫etxx2e-x

Homework Equations

M(t) = etx f(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution is -1/(t-3)3, however I'm having difficulty integrating the function. UV - ∫ V DU is extremely long and challenging, I'm wondering if there is a shortcut (i.e. quotient rule?)

Unfortunately, integration by parts is the antiderivative method generated by the product or quotient rules. I don't know of any shortcut. Let u = x2 the first round than u = x the second round and you should be able to integrate the result directly.

It looks like that example integrated by parts multiple times. It is easy if you practice. Another method could be differentiation by the parameter.
Let In(t) be integrals like yours where n is the power of x

Then notice
In(t)=DnI0(t)=Dn(-1/(t-1))

where
D is differentiation with respect to t
I0(t)=(-1/(t-1))

LCKurtz said:
Unfortunately, integration by parts is the antiderivative method generated by the product or quotient rules. I don't know of any shortcut. Let u = x2 the first round than u = x the second round and you should be able to integrate the result directly.

I did the integration by parts, and I ended up with 1/(1-t)3...is that incorrect?

The mean and variance were still the same as the book's answers (μ = 3, σ2 = 3)

FAQ: Best way to integrate a moment generating function?

What is a moment generating function?

A moment generating function is a mathematical function that is used to describe the properties of a probability distribution. It is typically denoted by M(t) and is defined as the expected value of e^(tx), where x is a random variable.

What is the purpose of integrating a moment generating function?

Integrating a moment generating function allows us to calculate the moments of a probability distribution, such as the mean, variance, and higher moments. This information can then be used to better understand and analyze the distribution.

What is the best way to integrate a moment generating function?

The best way to integrate a moment generating function depends on the specific function and the distribution it represents. In general, it involves using techniques from calculus, such as substitution and integration by parts. Consulting a mathematical reference or seeking assistance from a statistician may also be helpful.

Are there any limitations to using a moment generating function?

While moment generating functions can provide valuable information about a probability distribution, they may not exist for all distributions. Additionally, calculating higher moments can become increasingly complex and time-consuming.

How can I use the integrated moment generating function in my research or experiments?

The integrated moment generating function can be used to calculate important statistical properties of a distribution, which can then be applied in various research or experimental settings. This information can also be used to compare and analyze different distributions or to make predictions about future outcomes.