Beta Decay of Cs137: Understanding Electron Count-Rate Distribution

• Thread starter maroon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a Beta-decay experiment involving Cs137 and the theory surrounding it. The experiment focuses on negative Beta decay into the meta-stable form of Ba137, which has a 2.55 min half-life and undergoes internal conversion. The electron count-rate is plotted against Hall probe voltage, and although there are peaks, the distribution is continuous. The reason for this is related to how the detector "sees" an electron. The poster is having trouble understanding why the count-rate is not zero outside of the peaks and mentions accounting for background count, vacuum, and avoiding hysterisis. They apologize for any vagueness and ask for thoughts or suggestions.
maroon
I recently performed a Beta-decay experiment for a senior level lab course. I'm expected to write-up a report but I'm fairly confused as to some of the theory surrounding the Beta-decay of Cs137.

This experiment deals solely with negative Beta decay, of which the predominant form (94%) is decay into the meta-stable Ba137, which theoretically has a 2.55 min half-life. This form undergoes internal conversion to Ba137. Only emmitted electrons are being detected by the sensor.

When plotting electron count-rate vs Hall probe voltage (the set-up of this experiment entails the 180 degree deflection of emmitted electrons by way of a variable magnetic field-perpendicular to the movement plane), why is the distribution continuous?

I have a plot consisting of two peaks (both of which I understand why exist-I think), however I don't understand why the count-rate outside these regions is not zero.

Note that "background count" was accounted for, there was sufficient vacuum in the apparatus, and hysterisis (spelling?) was avoided.

I apologize in advance if my description is vague; It would be unreasonable for me to outline the entire lab in a forum post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any thoughts? I feel like I've really hit a wall here..

Thanks

Think about the way the detector "sees" an electron. That will tell you why the distribution is continuous.

Related to Beta Decay of Cs137: Understanding Electron Count-Rate Distribution

1. What is beta decay?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay where an unstable atomic nucleus emits an electron or positron, resulting in a change of the nucleus's atomic number and mass number.

2. How does Cs137 undergo beta decay?

Cs137 undergoes beta decay by emitting a high-energy electron from its nucleus, resulting in the formation of a new element, Ba137.

3. What is the significance of the electron count-rate distribution in beta decay of Cs137?

The electron count-rate distribution in beta decay of Cs137 is significant because it provides information about the energy and direction of the emitted electrons, which can help in understanding the decay process and the properties of the nucleus.

4. How is the electron count-rate distribution of Cs137 measured?

The electron count-rate distribution of Cs137 is typically measured using a detector, such as a Geiger-Muller tube, which records the number of electrons emitted from the decay in a given time period.

5. What applications does the study of beta decay of Cs137 have?

The study of beta decay of Cs137 has many applications, including in medical imaging, radiation therapy, and environmental monitoring, as well as in nuclear physics research and nuclear energy production.