Beta Minus Decay: A Comparison of Product Nuclei Electron Numbers

In summary, the two texts are trying to say the same thing, but the second is very poorly worded. The notation contributes to the problem.
gxc9800

Homework Statement

in the first photo of my note , it says that the product nucleus has Z electrons (not Z+1) electrons ,
whereas for the 2nd part of my note , it says that the atomic masses of the product nucleus( which has A nucelon mumber and Z+1 proton number) , it has one extra orbitting electrons

why the 2nd part of the note is different from the first one? the product nucleus has Z+1 electrons or Z electrons?
2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20141011_082202[1].jpg
    IMG_20141011_082202[1].jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_20141011_082113[1].jpg
    IMG_20141011_082113[1].jpg
    41 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
I think they're trying to say the same thing, but the second is very poorly worded. The notation contributes to the problem.
##^A_{Z+1}Y## in the equation they both quote represents an ion, i.e. It is missing an electron. How are you supposed to know this from the notation? Shouldn't it be something like ##^A_{Z+1}Y^+##?
The first text treats it as representing an ion throughout. The second text seems to recognise the ambiguity; the references after the equation interpret it as the un-ionised atom, so needs to subtract off the mass of the electron when calculating the mass loss. I.e., ##m_y## is the mass of the un-ionised atom.

haruspex said:
I think they're trying to say the same thing, but the second is very poorly worded. The notation contributes to the problem.
##^A_{Z+1}Y## in the equation they both quote represents an ion, i.e. It is missing an electron. How are you supposed to know this from the notation? Shouldn't it be something like ##^A_{Z+1}Y^+##?
The first text treats it as representing an ion throughout. The second text seems to recognise the ambiguity; the references after the equation interpret it as the un-ionised atom, so needs to subtract off the mass of the electron when calculating the mass loss. I.e., ##m_y## is the mass of the un-ionised atom.

##^A_{Z+1}Y## represent positive ion am i right? but not ##^A_{Z+1}Y^+## ... the product nuclei has Z+1 proton but the number of electrons remained the same... so for ##^A_{Z+1}Y## , it's a positive ion... am i right?

i knew this from the first photo.

gxc9800 said:
##^A_{Z+1}Y## represent positive ion am i right? but not ##^A_{Z+1}Y^+## ... the product nuclei has Z+1 proton but the number of electrons remained the same... so for ##^A_{Z+1}Y## , it's a positive ion... am i right?

i knew this from the first photo.
Forget about the beta decay for the moment. Y represents some element. The notation ##^A_{Z+1}Y## should represent an atom of element Y, having atomic mass A and Z+1 protons. In the absence of any indication as to whether it is ionised, one would assume it therefore has Z+1 electrons. The right hand side of the equation should therefore read ##^A_{Z+1}Y^++e^-##.
Anyway, do you now understand that the two texts are trying to say the same thing?

Likes gxc9800
haruspex said:
Forget about the beta decay for the moment. Y represents some element. The notation ##^A_{Z+1}Y## should represent an atom of element Y, having atomic mass A and Z+1 protons. In the absence of any indication as to whether it is ionised, one would assume it therefore has Z+1 electrons. The right hand side of the equation should therefore read ##^A_{Z+1}Y^++e^-##.
Anyway, do you now understand that the two texts are trying to say the same thing?
alright, can you please look at the 2nd photo?
i can understand why the mass defect (for atomic mass) is mx -( my-me) -me , why not mx -( my+me) -me ?

before subtracting the mass of the 'extra orbitting electron' , why the mass defect is calculated by mx-my-me (just like nuclear mass at the top part ) ??

gxc9800 said:
alright, can you please look at the 2nd photo?
i can understand why the mass defect (for atomic mass) is mx -( my-me) -me , why not mx -( my+me) -me ?

before subtracting the mass of the 'extra orbitting electron' , why the mass defect is calculated by mx-my-me (just like nuclear mass at the top part ) ??
As I wrote, that text is taking my to be the mass of a 'complete' (un-ionised) atom of Y. Since it is ionised (+), its mass is my-me. The wording in the text is atrocious, and I'm not surprised you are confused. Is it a translation?

Likes gxc9800
haruspex said:
As I wrote, that text is taking my to be the mass of a 'complete' (un-ionised) atom of Y. Since it is ionised (+), its mass is my-me. The wording in the text is atrocious, and I'm not surprised you are confused. Is it a translation?
i will try my best to understand . i am not sure whether it's the translation or not. but i english is not my first languange...

Related to Beta Minus Decay: A Comparison of Product Nuclei Electron Numbers

1. What is Beta Minus Decay?

Beta Minus Decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an unstable nucleus emits a beta particle, which is a high-energy electron. This process results in the conversion of a neutron into a proton, and the emission of an electron and an antineutrino.

2. How is Beta Minus Decay different from other types of radioactive decay?

Beta Minus Decay is different from other types of radioactive decay, such as alpha and gamma decay, because it involves the emission of a beta particle instead of an alpha particle or a gamma ray. It also results in the change of the atomic number of the nucleus, as a neutron is converted into a proton.

3. What is the significance of comparing product nuclei electron numbers in Beta Minus Decay?

Comparing the electron numbers of the product nuclei in Beta Minus Decay allows scientists to better understand the underlying processes and principles involved in this type of radioactive decay. It can also provide valuable information about the stability and properties of the resulting nuclei.

4. Can Beta Minus Decay be controlled or harnessed for practical use?

No, Beta Minus Decay cannot be controlled or harnessed for practical use. This type of radioactive decay occurs spontaneously and cannot be manipulated or controlled by external factors.

5. How is Beta Minus Decay relevant in nuclear physics and other fields of science?

Beta Minus Decay is relevant in nuclear physics and other fields of science because it is a fundamental process that occurs in many radioactive elements. It is also important for understanding the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic level and has applications in fields such as nuclear medicine and energy production.