Beyond Photodisintegration: Exploring the Formation of Black Holes in Supernovae

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supernova
In summary, Photodisintegration can lead to a supernova in stars above 250 solar masses. This is because the gamma ray photons get so energetic that they start to get absorbed, causing a runaway loss of energy from the core and the collapse into a black hole. However, there are also other phenomena such as pair production supernova and mergers that can result in black hole formation. Additionally, there are theories about black hole formation through neutron star transitions, accretion induced collapse, and hypernovae.
Drakkith
Mentor
Hey all. I just read about Photodisintegration leading to a supernova in stars above 250 solar masses and I thought it was pretty cool. Apparently the gamma ray photons get so energetic, they start to get absorbed, which excites the nucleus and leads to an ejection of a proton or a neutron. When this happens on a large scale, it leads to a runaway loss of energy from the core since the absorbed gamma rays no longer provide outward radiation pressure, which helps hold up the rest of the star, and the core starts to collapse into a black hole.

Just wondering what people think about this, and if there are any further phenomena past this that result in a black hole. I've read about pair production supernova as well, which doesn't leave a black hole behind since it results in a runaway nuclear reaction, destroying the star, along with the standard type 1 and 2 supernovas.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
Hey all. I just read about Photodisintegration leading to a supernova in stars above 250 solar masses and I thought it was pretty cool. Apparently the gamma ray photons get so energetic, they start to get absorbed, which excites the nucleus and leads to an ejection of a proton or a neutron. When this happens on a large scale, it leads to a runaway loss of energy from the core since the absorbed gamma rays no longer provide outward radiation pressure, which helps hold up the rest of the star, and the core starts to collapse into a black hole.

Just wondering what people think about this, and if there are any further phenomena past this that result in a black hole. I've read about pair production supernova as well, which doesn't leave a black hole behind since it results in a runaway nuclear reaction, destroying the star, along with the standard type 1 and 2 supernovas.
As far as the black hole formation goes around you have the usual transition of a neutron star to a black hole( Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit),formation of black hole by accretion induced collapse hypothesis(binary system consisting of oxygen-magnesium white dwarf and a red giant star) or a hypernovae(collapsar) in which if the star is over x50 solar masses then there is a direct transition into a black hole.EDIT:Thanks for the link Chonos! that's new to me.

Related to Beyond Photodisintegration: Exploring the Formation of Black Holes in Supernovae

What is a photodisintegration supernova?

A photodisintegration supernova is a type of stellar explosion that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life and collapses. The intense heat and pressure in the core of the star causes the production of high-energy gamma rays, which can break apart atomic nuclei in a process known as photodisintegration. This leads to the sudden collapse and explosion of the star.

What causes a star to undergo photodisintegration supernova?

A star must have a mass greater than 8 times that of the sun in order to undergo photodisintegration supernova. This is because the intense gravitational force in the core of the star is needed to produce the high-energy gamma rays necessary for the process to occur.

How is a photodisintegration supernova different from other types of supernovae?

A photodisintegration supernova is unique in that it is primarily caused by the production of high-energy gamma rays, rather than the collapse of the star's core. This makes it a much more energetic and powerful event than other types of supernovae.

What is the impact of a photodisintegration supernova on its surroundings?

The explosion of a photodisintegration supernova releases an enormous amount of energy and radiation, which can have a significant impact on the surrounding environment. This can include the formation of new elements through nuclear fusion, as well as the destruction of nearby stars and planets.

How do scientists study photodisintegration supernovae?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study photodisintegration supernovae, including telescopes that can detect gamma rays and other forms of radiation. They also analyze the light and spectra emitted by the supernova to gain insights into its composition and behavior.